How often do you give your child soda and candy?

The only time my 4 year old gets pop is if his blood sugar is low, he’s a type 1 diabetic. He also drinks sugar free pop from time to time and as for candy the same thing only when his sugar is low. A 4 year old should not be eating candy or drinking pop unless it’s every so often.

Very rare…they don’t need it.

1 Like

Lots of moms give their kids sweets all the time, some moms don’t ever give sweets.

Neither is right or wrong. Moms are allowed to do what they want with their own kids.

My 3 year old son personally hates sweets except for oreos, he won’t even drink apple juice or any kind of juice. But I let him have Oreos when he asks for cookies.

2 Likes

My kids were allowed a root beer on occasion at around 5/6 but not before that. Candy I don’t really have a set limit. We do keep it in the house most of the time but unless I see them eating large amounts I don’t restrict it abd generally I have no issue with them eating too much.

My almost 4 year old hasn’t tried soft drink and only has lollies out of Lolly bags at birthday parties

My daughter’s 11. She hates soda, she says it burns her mouth. She also has sensory issues.

1 Like

My boys are not allowed pop. I have let me 12 year old try it once. We don’t generally keep candy in the house as both my partner and I don’t really like it. So if they get candy it’s maybe once every couple months.

I’m an uncle and have always spoiled my niece, pop, candy, ect. Never had any problems, even her being ADHD.

My 8 1/2 year old has never had pop and very rarely eats candy or junk foods.

My son was 7 before he had soda I try give him flavoured water as in sweets he really is not interested in the so he has them when he want but it’s very rare

My almost 8 year old has never been interested in soda. He doesnt like the carbonation. They try to get treats everytime we go anywhere but we limit that to a couple times a week.

I didn’t give my son pop til he was 7. And even then it was rare. Sparkling water can be “pop” to them.
My son gets to pick a treat after dinner if he eats his dinner (1 little candy or treat) & we do movie snack night 1 night a week (usually popcorn / chips and a treat)

Never has soda.
Candy, maybe one a day if she’s good.

Special occasions…my children knew they couldnt open the fridge and grab a soda. Birthday parties events those situations yes but they had plenty juices and water. When my daughter was 8yrs old she went to my best friends daughters birthday party. They grew up together and were close in age. I get a phone call from my best friend saying my daughter needed to talk to me. She got on the phone and said "mom their having pizza and soda (which is what most have at bday parties) can i have some soda? I laughed alittle and told her “baby i love that you respect me so much that you called to ask permission but yes of course you can” now i didnt say this but i assumed soda would be involved and that she would have some i expected that but for her to call made my heart melt. But she still knew not to come home and think it was going to be ok. I set rules but i understand there are exceptions once in awhile. I was her parent and set rules but i wasnt unrealistic