How did you know you were done having kids?

How do you know if you are truly ready to be done having kids? I have 3 kids, 3 year old twins and a 4 month old and my husband said he doesn’t want anymore but I don’t feel like I’m ready to be done, we had 2 early losses before we got pregnant with our 4 month old and so it was really hard for me to enjoy that pregnancy cause I had so much anxiety and worry but I’ve always felt like I could see us with 4 kids. I just don’t think in my heart that I’m ready to be done, how do y’all know when you’re ready to be done

3 Likes

I had two very tough pregnancies and my husband and I discussed adoption as our 3rd. I tied my tubes knowing I never wanted to be pregnant again. We did adopt and we just knew our family was complete.

3 Likes

Your youngest is only 4 months old. Enjoy the time with this new baby and revisit this idea in a couple years. He may feel different by then or you may feel different.

4 Likes

I think you just know… I thought after my 3rd I was done but 7 years later baby number 4 arrived our 4th was the puzzle piece we didn’t know was missing until he was here and then we just knew we were finished

Birthed 3, raising 5 full time. Pregnancy was very hard for me. We lost my nephew to sids, and I was absolutely done having kids. Then ended up pregnant, had my son and got my tubes cut out. You know your done when your just done.

Honestly, I just knew I was done on ALL level’s. Mentally, emotionally, physically, and financially I was and am at capacity. I have no more to give when it comes to raising anymore kid’s.

5 Likes

I had my 8th and I’m so ready to not be waiting on people all day every day. I love having babies, but I know I don’t want to have another little one. It’s also so hard mentally and emotionally for me with PPD so it’s in my kids best interest if I don’t have another.

Honestly, there were a couple things for me. My youngest is 6, I don’t really think I want to start over. My husband and I have a 15 year age gap and he’s pretty confident that he’s too old lol. It’s a hard sink in - I definitely sometimes feel “unfinshed” or a missing piece but at the same time, I don’t want to start over. I like that my kids are capable of doing more independently and to just be able to focus on them and spoil them more. At some point, you’ll just know and it might hit you like a truck.

2 Likes

I had twin identical boys, tried for a girl and got a single boy. I said I was done but then got pregnant waiting to get my tubes removed when he was 6 months. And guess what, set of twins #2! :rofl: I got my girl and I was done :100: :rofl: I now have 5 kids 8 and under.

1 Like

I have an 11 year old and 2 year old. I’m pregnant with our 3rd.
The thought of even starting over again makes me not won’t to. I didn’t realize how hard it would be after having my 2 year old because he and his sister have such an age gap. So we decided we are done after this one.

1 Like

A few things: 1) Before you decide to have another child, discuss it with your OB. You might be at higher risk for complications. You need to have all of the information, as a complicated pregnancy would impact the entire family, especially if, god forbid, something happened to you.

Mothers want more kids for all sorts of reasons. The question is what those reasons are. You mentioned that you didn’t enjoy your last pregnancy. Are you hoping to redo that? If that’s a primary reason, think very carefully. There are no guarantees, especially since you had problems carrying a fetus to term.

Your youngest is just 4 months old, so it’s too soon to get pregnant again. Pregnancy drains the body and it’s best to give your body more time to heal.

But the reality is that three children are a handful. Each baby brings more sleepless nights and financial strain. It costs about $275,000 to raise a middle class child from birth to age 18 (not including college). I don’t know how old you are, but your current age as well as your age when your youngest turns 18 should be considered.

Many mothers struggle when their youngest starts growing up. They love the infant stage and want to continue enjoying it. But kids grow up and mothers’ focuses also shift.

I’m seemingly randomly bringing up possibilities because you said little about why you want a fourth child, other than wanting to enjoy pregnancy and that you always envisioned 4. But both of those are hypothetical; you might or might not enjoy your pregnancy and having 4 kids might not be as you’ve envisioned it, especially if your husband isn’t onboard. Give yourselves time. Consider talking to a therapist about grief surrounding your miscarriages. You might find your answers there.

2 Likes

After 2 miscarriages and 3 full term pregnancies I absolutely knew I was done, plus with each baby my PPD got worse. I’m still struggling with ppd and my youngest is 1. I love my babies but mentally, and emotionally I can’t handle another one.

For me it was what I could mentally and physically handle as well as the mother I want to be to my children. I know I couldn’t give my all the way I do if I had more. While it’s bittersweet I just know my limits and want to be the best mom I can to my children.

1 Like

I had horrible morning sickness with all three of mine and knew I never wanted to go through another pregnancy (I also have a heart issue that probably couldn’t handle another pregnancy anyways.) I have two boys (16&11) and my last was a girl (2) so I knew physically, emotionally, and mentally that this was God’s plan for me! Absolutely love having three!:blue_heart::blue_heart:🩷

For me it was simply always wanted one child… I now have one and I’m good…

1 Like

I just knew. It was an intuitive gut feeling.

1 Like

I got pregnant with my twins when my son was 1.5, the thought of twins again terrified me enough to not have any more :upside_down_face:

Some people never feel done, I’m 40 have 3 kids 7/11/13 and don’t feel done, forever broody, but my husband doesn’t want more as life’s just getting a lot easier now there older, all didn’t sleep and all have there own wee problems in life which is hard, financially I know I can’t afford anymore so that’s reason I didn’t have any more as few years ago we did talk about it, both me n hubby work, no help with kids or childcare so having another wasnt option when we knew we didn’t want to struggle through life anymore and put that extra financial pressure on our family x

1 Like

I originally wanted 4. I have 3 and I am done. The very thought of another baby makes me feel anxious

2 Likes

Following pregnant with number 5 an we both said we was done after our fourth one was born

I had a girl, then I had a boy…than I had twin girls…DONE!

My age tells me I’m done. 39 and would love one more but it’s not safe for me or a baby.

Do you feel like you’re not done or are you just feeling the missing places in your family for the children you lost?

I just knew! I have 8,3 and 11 month old twins and i just got my tubes removed!

3 for me and DONNNNNEEE waiting for my gyno appt next week … I think you just know

I think it’s something you just know!