How can I introduce my toddler to the father he has never met?

My 2.5 year old has never met his dad. I am currently in touch with dads sister, dad might want to meet him. I am looking for advice to introduce them if he decides to be. I want to be fair to both.

12 Likes

I was in this same situation. I just had them meet, however I call his biological father by his name as in Mr. Name, instead of daddy or dad. It has worked out well for my situation as my significant other is his daddy and his bio father doesn’t see him often. He now knows who Mr. Name is, as he is a bit older, but we still call them as stated above.

1 Like

If he actually wants to be in your kids life, go to the park and he can meet him there. Introduce him by his name and let your kid know him on his own terms

11 Likes

Maybe speak with your ex first. Your child’s best interest comes first

3 Likes

If he can’t pick up popcorn his arm can’t handle a baseball. lol

Make it low key. Maybe at a park and give the baby time to warm up.

1 Like

Maybe consider introducing without titles in case donor changes his mind.

6 Likes

If you introduce I would personally be there with him kinda supervised the visit and also maybe aunt there so your child has someone can be comfortable till he’s comfortable with dad till ready be byself then if away from you maybe have aunt step in kinda supervised visits as well if see aunt until comfortable see dad byself. Especially sense just meeting at 2 yrs old

I guess it kind of depends on what the intent behind all of it is. Does this mean that his father is going to be involved? If he doesn’t plan on being a constant in your baby’s life, than I’d make it low key. Meet in a public setting that your child is comfortable with. Make it clear to everyone, that this is about your baby, not them. I wouldn’t necessarily tell your little one that they’re going to meet their Dad. I’d just say something like, we’re going to see some old friends that we haven’t seen in a long time. He’s only 2.5, so you don’t necessarily need to bombard him with everything all at once. Given that he’s over 2 and they’ve never met, there is a chance that these times together could be few and far between. You don’t want to get your baby’s hopes up just to be let down.

20 Likes

If he wants to be in is life I’d let them meet. If not there is no point. And maybe like previous comment, meet at a park or something. And maybe not tell babe that’s his dad just yet!

2 Likes

That’s so big of you to even consider it! I’m very proud of you for know it will be good for your little one to know his family! More and more I see woman being selfish with their children. But it’s not just thier child, they are everyone’s else’s family member too!

1 Like

Short supervised meets at local parks, museums, zoo and such slowly building up time together until both you and child is comfortable with the father. Once comfortable you can move on to short unsupervised visits slowly moving up towards longer visits and/or overnights if both want. The key is taking slow so that the child adjusts and is comfortable. What ever you do get court/legal protection before allowing him to take child unsupervised though as if he is the vindictive type he can refuse to return the child and it would require you to take him to court and fight to get child returned.

2 Likes

Just meet up a few time like at a cafe or a park . No need yet to say who he is wait to see if the day is going to be a permanent thing in the kids life first .

Well , I think the question you should ask to him if he is planning on stay in his life because if he is not sure , you should not introduce him .

I think “dad” sounds selfish. Leave that door open for sure but I probably wouldn’t introduce them as father and and son unless he plans to be actively involved.

Dad might want to!! id be telling dad to kiss my a@@, he shud of been there from the start not 2/3 years later and then say he Might want too

2 Likes

If it is for any other reason than the father wasn’t aware he had a kid than you DON’T.
You don’t just get to decide 3 years later your kid is worth knowing

8 Likes

Nope
Wait till child is old enough to remember the meet, it may only be once…let this baby get attached to a pops who could up n disappear at any time. Wait till the child cam at least speak if pops doesn’t end up being safe or nice…

Does he pay child support ? Out state passed a law all custody is 50/50 nobody has the right to keep a child from his or her bio father or mother .

1 Like

I say take it slow introduce him by his name and maybe meet at the park or the aquarium somewhere fun for your son to be. See how his father acts over time. He might think he wants to be a dad but the reality of all that entails might hit him and he might leave again so that’s why I say introduce him by his name. If his father seems interested I would say after 6 - 7 months then tell him that he is his father or you can always wait until he’s older where he can fully understand the situation

If dad wants to do this, dad needs to be in contact with you. You made said child with him, not his sister. If he has no desire to make contact himself, the odds he will be a reliable person for the child are slim to none. As for the actual meeting if it happens. Definitely do not bring titles into it, it took 2.5 years to get to contact,titles like daddy will also take 2.5 years to earn back. Introduce him by name, or as a friend, or just as nothing. Don’t let kiddo know you are going to meet up, just say you are going on an adventure, if he shows up to the meet great, and if not find a quick fun adventure you can pretend was the plan all along. Basically, expect nothing, expect what you have gotten for the last 2.5 years. And don’t let disappointment reach your child from this person or their family.

3 Likes

At a park or somewhere public and don’t introduce the man as dad go by name instead so he doesn’t get confused or
If In case dad doesn’t come back around anytime soon … and say your going to meet old friends … child is still young and you don’t want to put
To much onto the child at once either

At this point u MAY do more damage then anything so many years with out meeting him…

I’d say fat chance until that “might want to” turns into “that’s my son too and I want to be in his life.” No place for flippancy in my kids life.