How can I get my kid to stick to a schedule?

me and my bf have been trying to get our now 7 month old on a schedule since 4 months. Sometimes it works. Sometimes he doesn’t want to go down till 3-5am. Today was the longest he’s ever slept. Which was a god sent to me. He we to bed around 1am. (Ate at 10pm) woke up at 7am I fed him and he went back to sleep snuggling me in bed. We woke up at 11am, now he’s tired and wants to nap an hour after waking up. i let him. But I’m just so confused on how to get him on a perm I ate schedule. 1. How can he be tired after already waking up an hour before hand? Usually his schedule consist of him staying up 3-4 hours before his first nap after waking up. (And that’s him. Because he’s not sleeping until 3-4 hours) this is my second kid. I know all kids are different. But this is beyond different from my first. I don’t understand it. Is it his body? Growing pains? Everyone else with kids I know seems to have their kid on a perfect schedule. Even my first went to bed at 10. Woke up at 8am everytime. But for my son, it just seems so random every time.

2 Likes

Bed at 10PM- until 8AM what kid is this. Those are some lucky parents. Neither of my kids ever went to bed that late. We were out of the house by 7AM

2 Likes

I bet it could be growth spurts. There are many sleep regressions at different ages I’ve heard about also. I never really looked into it though as my kids have always been pretty good sleepers. My youngest who is 2 now goes to sleep between 9-10pm every night and sleeps anywhere between 8-9am almost every morning. She’s kind of always had this sleeping schedule even as a baby. At 7 months though she would always want a bottle first thing after waking up (8-9am), have breakfast around 10am, nap anywhere between 11-1pm, lunch around 1pm, supper around 5pm, another little nap around 7pm (45 minutes or so), a bottle around 8-9pm, and then bed between 9-10pm. That’s just what always worked for my latest child. Even now at 2 years old she still follows it pretty closely (besides the bottles.)

Are you giving your little guy any food at night before starting your sleep routine? My pediatrician told me that if my daughter seems to be having a hard time sleeping it could be that she is just hungry. Maybe try giving dinner before starting your sleep routine to see if that helps (if you aren’t doing so already). Obviously still give the bottle of formula prior to giving dinner and any time after dinner if he wants it. My daughter sleeps better through the night when she eats dinner (she’s 9 months) right before we start our night-night routine.

Move your bedtime routine earlier. 10pm is late, unless that is what works in your house. Unfortunately your pretty sleep deprived but u can try getting up earlier in the am with him. He will have his small nap then a long one and them be ready for bed later. Our day usually starts at 6am 1st feeding, take the kids to school. My baby would stay up awhile or take that small nap in the am. She would have another feeding around lunch, and usually a real long nap by then. I let her power nap whenever. All the kids are ready for bed by 830 including her, she will be 6 months at the end of June.

My littlest is 8 months, bedtime is 8, wakes at 1130 to eat, wakes at 330 to eat, up at 630 nap from 9 to 1130 nap again at 330 to 5ish and repeat.

1 Like