How can I get my brother out of my house?

Need some advice on what i can do my brother is 24 years old and lives with me well that’s going to end but he can’t get a job or another place because well he’s just plane out lazy his on ssi due to personal reasons. But we want him out how can we get him out in the nicest way possible. we did give a 30 days notice with the requirements and those have been broken so time to get out we tried being nice but now it’s getting to the point of touch love

5 Likes

Eviction. If in the United States, you need to give him notice and then file for eviction if he doesn’t leave in that time frame.

1 Like

Start charging him rent, utilities, food, etc. If he don’t chip in the he don’t get access to the fridge, turn the hot water off when he takes a shower.

4 Likes

We had to file eviction process in our county court building… It’s a process, but tough love is a blessing in disguise! Blessings :heart:

1 Like

If he get SSI find some low income apartments. And help him get in there.

8 Likes

File an eviction petition, hire a lawyer, get law enforcement involved after the eviction if they don’t leave.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t hurt to sign him up for Section 8…if he’s on SSI…this way…it would be affordable for him.

9 Likes

Tough love… hes a grown man. Tell him how its gonna be.

2 Likes

Help him get out , if he doesn’t have anywhere else to go he’s not gonna just get out. Help him find a place he can go

3 Likes

Kick him out. Change the locks.

For starters he is your brother !! You clearly wanted to help him if he is living in your home. How about help him find a place to move to and set up the correct way.

2 Likes

Try referring him to housing programs. Not sure how it is where you are but Salvation Army housing retention program for an example.

I suppose it’s not “nice” with the eviction letter. Helping him get set up with housing depending on where you live could be section 8 , CIRHA or whatever housing authorities that’s in your local area. He then probably qualifies for food Stamos and a bunch of other stuff. Usually on SSI they can’t work too many hours anyway or they will be kicked off it. He will probably be shot up most lists because of his SSI. Putting him on the streets when he has to have a reason to be on SSI sounds awful. There’s even places like YMCA that have rooms they rent out that are affordable. Just have to look into it as I’m unsure if he’s able to do it on his own. And if he has a social worker that’s on his case they can help with resources as well.

Yes he’s your brother can you please on SSI you need to help him find a place to live and when he safe in his own place that will help set your mind at ease but try not to kick him to the curb without helping him.

2 Likes

Well you can’t get SSI just for personal reasons you typically actually have to have an actual medical issue. So it may be that he has a disability or an issue that requires him to need help or take a bit longer to do what other people may be able to do. Does he have a caseworker or need to be in a group home or something?? Try to have a conversation about what his struggles are and explain what your expectations are and what needs to happen. Then maybe help him find what he needs. He’s probably on a limited fixed income and needs some help finding an appropriate and affordable place. In this current housing situation 30 days isn’t long enough in most places.

3 Likes

First of all he’s not on SSI for personal reasons… he’s on SSI because he’s disabled in some way as is most people on SSI unless they’re over 65. So more than likely he doesn’t work because of recieving SSI and not simply because he’s lazy. Your brother’s on SSI at 24 yrs of age obviously because he has some sort of disability (whether it’s mental or physical). Maybe the game plan should be to help him find housing and a safe affordable environment in which he can live, since he is your brother. rather than just kick him to the curb because he’s lazy in your opinion there’s obviously a lot more to it than that because he’s 24 and on SSI which means he’s disabled in some way be it mentally or physically.

5 Likes

Get him hooked up with HUD. That should help him afford a place. Maybe he could also use a case manager thru human services that could help him as it sounds like he may or may not have some mental health challenges. If he is unwilling to do that, you may have to go thru the courts to have him evicted.

1 Like

Since hes on ssi why not get a. Travel trailer and put behind your house that way he has a place of his own but close to you if he needs help…and maybe charge a little rent and electric…so he feels like hes participating.teach him how to save his money and be on his own…buy his own food …and clean his own mess up…

2 Likes

We have,same problem kid 33 he say he,a gamer the government pays him to stay home won’t do anything refuses to work .demand momto cook dinner and wait on him… we are trapped he nice so lonng as he gets his way. Drive gas cpl license good talker???

Find co-op housing in your area. They’ll accept ssi income as well as have other programs.

Rhonda McGarry I have seen it happen. He had a nervous breakdown or somethinglike that. But by the time I met him he was fine working under the table and everything.

When he’s out for the day pack his clothes up put outside,change locks on door and get a restraining order

1 Like

Find him a place to live and move him.

All I can say is that I wich I can get ssi for personal reasons like your brother

Wow u sound callous…put yourself in ur brothers shoes

Punt his stuff out regardless of weather conditions next time he’s out also change the locks only after you file for eviction if he’s not out by then ensure he pays costs for hiring bailiffs to get him evicted

Prayers for your family in Jesus mighty name Amene