How can I get my 2-year-old to behave in church?

Don’t bring him there. He’s 2 and like you said that’s around his nap time. Put hin first and let him nap.

2 Likes

Maybe you should get a sitter and go without him
He’s at that age!
People that way shouldn’t be
That’s their caracter defect not your’s
Sounds like everyone’s kids one time are a no anouther
Hang in there mom

1 Like

Don’t take him to church!

1 Like

If you don’t know enough to leave him home you better take a course in parenting! You are DUMB ,!

1 Like

Skip church, it’s not worth it.

2 yr old. They are noisy, tempermental, independent little people. Coloring books, puzzles, snakcs, quiet little hand held games, reading books. Sit in the back of church, if there is children’s church can he attend. Let him sing & Dance away during worship through song. That may tire him out a bit. Even though he is 2, you can preset some expectations for him.
Good luck, it can be good some Sundays, others not so much

3 Likes

A two year old child does not belong in a church. They have no idea what church is or how to sit quiet for an hour.

3 Likes

Dont take him to church then. You said it yourself… you go when its nap time. What do you think is going to happen??? :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Pack an activity bag . Bible based coloring book , washable markers , my first bible picture book , snacks, and some quiet toys . So when he starts getting restless he has something to keep him busy .

2 Likes

Go to a normal church that has a Sunday school during service … dont all churches have this??

1 Like

I have a 2 1/2 year old and for me it just depends on the week on how good or bad he is. I take snacks, a cup with water in it, toys that don’t make noise to help keep him occupied. My husband and I try to have him participate in church too so he feels like he is a part of church. For example he loves to try to sing, he stands/sits/kneels when we do (that took a lot of time for him to actually do). He loves giving the sign of peace and putting the envelope in the basket as it comes around. Also don’t worry about other people making remarks as hard as it is. having children in church keep the church alive and they can always sit somewhere else if they have a problem.

4 Likes

My son has very severe autism. Sitting still was almost impossible. From the ages of 2-4 we brought in a portable booster seat and buckled him in with his toys and snacks. Once he outgrew it, we changed tactics and would have him sit with us as long as possible as often as possible and then take him out (to the cry room, the foyer, a Sunday school room that wasn’t being used, etc.) to let him get some of his fidgets out. These were years when I very often did not hear an entire sermon for months at a time, and would sometimes wonder what was the Point. BUT. I had two other (younger) children, and I wanted them to know that we went to church to worship God with our christian brothers and sisters. Even when it was hard or inconvenient. I wanted them to know that we worshiped God as a family, even if some members of our family didn’t fully understand. I often left church disappointed or overwhelmed or embarrassed, or all three. But even more often I was encouraged by the members of our church who were there to listen to my struggles, appreciate my willingness to keep coming in spite of it all, and lift me up when I was falling apart. I wouldn’t trade a christian family for a youtube sermon for anything. My son is now a teenager, still nonverbal, still fidgety, and we do occasionally still have to leave the room. But now, more often than not, he sits quietly, or dances a little when we sing, and is a constant part of our church family because of the years of training we put in. If the church doesn’t allow fidgeting toddlers, then the families with fidgety toddlers will stop coming. If the church excludes people with special needs, then families with special needs will stop coming. And if there aren’t people willing to bring their rambunctious toddler, chatterbox child, or special need teen, the the church won’t learn to tolerate those differences and will ultimately stop growing. So find what works for you and your family, but don’t forsake the assembly, even if it means changing where you worship, or being the voice for tolerance where you are. Jesus said to 'Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these" <3

6 Likes

I thought most churches would have a nursery for small children.

1 Like

take snacks and quiet things for him to do. but also my pastors have always said that, why does everything think it has to be so quiet. let the children play, let them talk and let them be children, let them be gods children

A church is meant for all. Its a family thing. People must accept it when kids are around, especially a 2 year old.

3 Likes

Try to find a church that has 2-3 different services and find a time that doesn’t interfere with your son’s nap time. My family goes to church at 8 am. I take snacks, and a stuffed animal. Daughter takes nap at 11.

2 Likes

Why would you poison him with church…

1 Like

Get him a picture book about Noah’s Ark and only let him have it at church or something similar xx he’s a baby :heart:

1 Like

Just dont go to church when it’s nap time or get a babysitter and you go on your own

He’s 2 years of age you can’t settle an make a him sit he wants to go an do what ever he wants people piss me off when they look at me when my son who is 2 running wild but all you have to say is your kids where 2 once

These people telling you to not take him to church… smh… good girl for taking your child to worship service. You do you. And your baby… well mine is 21 months and is a pain in sanctuary too. But a lot of churches have children’s church or a nursery. My church is one of those old timey tiny little churches and my 36 year old hubby and 37 year old self are the youngest adult couple there, the walls are paper thin, and I do it anyway. Because everyone knows children this age are hard to control. They could hear him being a terrible two in the nursery but gave me love when it was over anyway. Because that’s what church is. Love. And if youre not getting love and acceptance and understanding about the baby, you’re at the wrong church. I WILL agree that snacks and soundless toys help. But if you can put him in the nursery or children’s church group it might make it less embarrassing or stressful to you and you can enjoy the sermon more. Thats my favorite part of church, not the singing. The lesson. God Bless you, Sister, and your little one.

2 Likes

This is to young to sit still for a service do they have a nursery?

1 Like

Dont you christians preach the whole “let the children come to me” or something along those lines…If people they arent accepting of a child who doesn’t know any better then maybe your going to the wrong church🤷🤷

1 Like

Too young to sit still like a good little solider.

Don’t force it in him .

Love your 2yr old and the heck with what other people say.

Don’t make him go to church!!!

Keep taking him he will learn…and these ppl talking need to get down on their knees and pray for him instead gossiping…

1 Like

I mean i have a hard time sitting still too. Shit boring asf. But i still go :joy:

Our church has a sound proof room for us to take our daughter too. She is also 2 and it’s kind of a little playroom where she can color and do what she wants while we listen!

1 Like

I would leave him with a sitter until he is old enough to go to Sunday school and nap afterwards. He is just too young to be expected to sit still for an entire service. Unless maybe your church has an earlier service you can attend.

Mom, breathe. Thank you for teaching your sweet baby about Jesus. When I hear or see a little one fussing or squirming around I smile. You, Momma, could have stayed home, slept in, or anything else, but you came to church. Bless you and your child. Take things he likes to do. Shows he likes to watch with headphones. I will confess that sometimes I do get antsy when kids are noisy, but Jesus reminds me that the kiddos are also His. Push on Momma and know that you are His and just breathe. Nevermind the better than thous out there and keep teaching. And breathe.

Take him outside or to the rest room and spank his butt-but you have to do it every time, the first time. All I had to say to my misbehaving children (I have 5) was “there is a bathroom in this building.” they would instantly settle down. At 2 he should be able to sit quietly and color or draw. Bring snacks and washable markers. Hope this helps.
Also consider the nursery.

24 Likes

I always sat in the very front with both of mine from babies up. We had bad n good days with them at church. I always thought letting them sit in the very front helps so they can see what is going on. I did not care what other people would say if mine were being too loud. Let them fine another place to sit or another church to go to! DO NOT LET THOSE PEOPLE BOTHER YOU. Keep taking your child to church! :heart:

7 Likes

I always had my girls pack a little bag with art stuff, papers, books, colored pencils, those kinds of things AND I’d have them pick their own snack and pack that. They were also warned before we got inside if I had to scold them, quietly of course, that I’d take something they liked when they got home. They had their days like any other kid, and I followed thru with losing a favorite toy, BUT it worked for the most part.

1st off ignore those people that make remarks under their breath, you are doing an amazing thing by taking your child to church they are our future! … have you tried bringing some silent toys, a few blocks so he can try to build something, a few snacks (not messy) to keep in his mouth… I know this is a trying time, we are getting ready to have our 4th child, and there are a lot of times my husband or I won’t get to enjoy the service, because it’s our sons nap time too… but momma you have Got this!! Whatever you do don’t stop going, he will grow out of this stage before you know it, just hang in there, and ask some people in the church to help you with him, after all it does take a village to raise a child… YOUR DOING AN AMAZING JOB!

25 Likes

Jesus said suffer the little children. He made children so he knew they would sometimes be noisy. How we treat children in church sometimes determines how they perceive going to church. I took snacks and coloring books and never put them in a different room from the worship. They need to see us as we worship the Lord. We are to raise children i

8 Likes

Two-year-olds cannot just sit and be still for longer than a few minutes. They WILL get restless. I would never put my little one in a position to sit still that long and would not expect him to. Too much stress on both of you. Put him in the nursery!

6 Likes

I never took my children into church at that age. They can’t keep quiet. When they were old enough to go to religious instructions, I would require complete silence in church.

1 Like

I’m not sure I’ve never had a problem with this. Then again our preacher was really into his postion and was good at keeping peoples attention even the littles. Most of the littles in the church we attended were the same way. They had their childrens bible with pictures which helped them with something to keep them occupied if they lost interest.
We’ve always been consistent with things so that helps sit means sit and well they stay seated.

1 Like

It’s a CHURCH. Ignore the people who very obviously needs to listen to Gods word a little better. Children are meant to be apart of a church. Children scream and cry and giggle and laugh, its life. I wouldn’t put to much into it. Your child is 2, not 8. And not all children are the same, some are quiet and listen, some are loud and cant seem to hear anything but their own little hearts. That’s ok. Your in the right place. Your going to church. So long as you are genuinely trying to keep him busy, (The pastors wife would always print out coloring pages from that days lesson in church, with a simple few words, maybe some games like tic tac toe.) Its up to you (mom) to keep learning about God fun for your baby. As well as the church’s responsibility to accept and understand as well as be graceful. You guys are a family (church family) And being excited about God as a family is important.

4 Likes

But I will say, I have a Two Year old as well, and if I took him out into big church and he did say or do something, my church family will and would chuckle, find it cute and carry on listening to the preacher. If they are paying attention to the preacher, your two year old wouldn’t be bothering them.

2 Likes

I took my son to a class from 2 to 4 with small lessons , crafts and playtime. This let him be a child with other kids and when it was time to go to “big church” he wasn’t hating having to sit still and be quiet. I also had crayons, coloring books and any other quiet item to keep him occupied. Worked for me.

I think u should take him out so the other people can hear the sermon that’s what they come for.Do they not have a nursery?

10 Likes

My pastor and church family love the children…I have taken 5 grandkids and my three greatgrand kids to Sunday school since birth…all 8 did the crawling, running all over but they learned over time. The older ones are well behaved now…I am still working on the youngest , she is 9 months old.Dont give up…

4 Likes

Keep at it momma. You are already “winning” by taking him to church. Shame on the others for their reactions for you being a good parent and raising your child right.
With our girls we tried to always sit in the back row when at that stage so no one was behind us to distract them in that direction and then all they could see was the backs of people’s heads in front of them. Lessened the distractions. We would bring a small “church only” bag of books. It is def rough for a while but know it will get better. Have to keep going for him to learn. Keep at it. You are doing great.

10 Likes

Let him go to the nursery. He’s not at an age where he’s going to sit and listen to the sermon. If they don’t have nursery then Take him coloring book and crayons. A tablet and let him watch cartoons. Take multiple things. You might have to switch out between things multiple times. But he’s 2. You can’t expect too much from him. Just bring him things to do

8 Likes

So many churches with nurseries, perhaps visit those until you find one you feel at home.

Do they hsve a nursery he can go to. He would be occupied with toys and you would be able to enjoy the service

1 Like

If you are not at a kid friendly church you might want to find one, especially one that is not during his nap time. That’s just a disaster.

2 Likes

Are you serious!!!
Take him to the CHILDREN’S area!!!
That’s why they have it!!!
Do you have any idea how distracting he is to everyone else? That’s why they’re getting upset!!!
You can not do anything to make him cooperate because he’s 2!!!
Two year olds are not capable of sitting quietly.
Wait til he’s age appropriate to bring him to into the sanctuary.
Til then he belongs with the other two year olds
Please be considerate of everyone else who had the good sense to put their children in the children’s area.

I am a mother of 4. And now have 2 grandchildren so I’m speaking from a lifetime of experience.
Stop trying to do the impossible. Please!

11 Likes

Our church has little fun bags at the door little children can take and play with during mass…little stuffed animal small paper n pencil…pipe cleaners for them to tinker with ect. They put them back in the basket on the way out…

First of all, he’s TWO! He’s a baby, not a little adult. If your church can’t accept that, then find another church!

1 Like

Take him snacks and suckers. I’ve been taking my kids since they were born. Some days are harder than others. Little kids like stickers too. You can get those at dollar tree. Only use them for Sunday service so that each time they are fun. Let him stick them on a notebook.

The child is 2. They’re going to have meltdowns that are unplanned. When the child acts up, take the child out of the church until they are calmed down and can return. If not, try again the next time.

4 Likes

I take a bag with things to do in it, some clean snacks, and a cuppie… and I let meet my expectations be known before we get there. Also I bet not as many people are commenting under their breath as you think… you’re just feeling it because he’s misbehaving

If there’s a nursery or children’s church. Either it’s a “big” church or “little” church. They usually have tv in the big churched nursery with people in the church who take care of them and plenty other little ones and you can sit and watch the sermon inside the sanctuary or if it’s a “little” church (I’m talking southern Baptist Church like) then you should be able to take them and have a sound baby monitor to take with you to nursery to hear the sermon while they’re in nursery with you. Some churches even have what’s called Wee-Church which is for toddlers to old for nursery but to young for children’s church, they (nursery, Wee-Church and children’s church) all are still supposed to teach them the Bible in ways the babies can understand. I’m not bashing you or anyone like you,I say good on you for taking them and yourself to church! Keep up going to church

1 Like

A lady in our church brings her 20 month old granddaughter. And when she starts acting up. I personally get up, and go help out by taking the child to my seat or walk around the back of church while holding her. The baby loves it. And This way it gives grandma a break and she gets to listen to sermon. And I get to enjoy baby time. We do not have a nursery. This is the Only baby in our small church. I bring Stickers and paper and a few toys to keep her busy in my seat. She only gets to play with these toys when she is in my seat. So its like new toys weekly.

2 Likes

I always put my kids in the nursery, or age appropriate classes, because I KNEW there was no way they’d be able to behave in a situation like that for long!

1 Like

It’s called a nursery. 99 out of 100 churches have one.

I think it’s important to understand that it’s unfair to expect a 2 year old to sit thru a church service. I can barely sit thru one without fidgeting. If the ppl there don’t understand that then it’s time to find a new church.

Why isn’t he in the nursery. ? He can play with other kids and learn lessons age appropriate

1 Like

Find a church that has a children’s program appropriate for the age?

1 Like

Children crying or acting up in church is fine, they will learn how to behave! He is 2. I always took books, or quiet toys and snacks. Don’t let anyone else bother you, if they are talking maybe they should listen in church a little better themselves!

1 Like

Bring your child . they are the future church … Bring him an etch a sketch pad. A snack dried fruit …maybe play on an old cell phone. During song service dancing is nice if the music is appropriate . we all need to come as children .

You are doing so good. Let people get over it. Hes learning. Children are so important in church but some people forget. You could always go to the back wall, my church keeps a few chairs there, and he can move more there but you can still listen.

Jesus said" let the children come, hes too young have self control when i was little i remember runni g around the church with my sisters and even sitting on the atler and playing and good priest or pastor will not judge but understand

1 Like

You need to find a church with a toddler room… They have them… Thats where you take him when he wont behave… Hope this helps

2 Likes

I agree with Kristy keep taking him he will gets use to going and do not do not let the whispers bug u…they probably forgot how their kids were…

1 Like

dont y’all have programs for children?? classes??

1 Like

Do they have a nursery?

1 Like

Listen you have to establish inside and outside behavior :woman_shrugging:t4::poop:I’m not sure how you handle him normally but I raise my boys in church and that’s not being expected from anyone who is in service you potty train and set bed time even when they don’t want to :woman_shrugging:t4::thinking:same rules

My church has kids room by age. That would help if they have that take hjm to there childrens foom

Apologies for my inappropriate comment, but this is why do many people stop going to church. Should they not be more tolerant? Does church not teach tolerance? Sorry I have not advice. :purple_heart::heart::orange_heart:

Nursery is meant for kids under 4 because of this reason.

Take him some crayons, books, small toys, snacks, etc. Let them make remarks, at least you’re THERE!

He is only 2. They Don’t want to sit very long. I have seen people bring a book or something for them to do so they Don’t get bored. It has,worked.

Isnt there a nursery?

Does your church have a nursery or a cry room? Getting a 2 year old to behave in church for an hour is pretty much impossible. If they don’t have a nursery or cry room then try distraction. Bring toys that he can play with quietly…

Children should be in church without nasty remarks. He’s a toddler. Bring him a quiet toy. Or put him in children’s church.

Do they have daycare at your church? If so, take him there. If not, give him a tablet and headphones or book he can sit and entertain himself with. Maybe let him nap during the service if he’s tired.

He’s 2 again he’s 2 why are you worried what anyone thinks? Church is for everyone including 2 year olds

Bring some silent toys he can play with

Try taking a little bag of snacks, a coloring book, something to distract him

If they have “kids church” during the sermon let him go to that.

1 Like

Put him in the nursery until he is 4 and try again

Snacks, toys, books, crayola wonder markers/sets to color with, be sure you sit where the LO cant escape (lol)
Try to not get discouraged. At that age they have a super short attention span so bring lots of things to switch out when he gets bored with something.

Think everyone’s needs would be better met with the 2 yr old in a nursery where he could be occupied with toys and loving arms of an attendant that understands and can allow him to be his 2 yr old self!

To the lady who who suggested spanking is crazy just tell her she don’t need to be in church and the child will not like church if you spank him just go with him to the nursery and play with him for a while until they come standing here and he’ll learn about Jesus and Jesus live not a spanking

Fist off, shame on them for their remarks. He is two, and a two year old will act how a two year old acts. They should be ashamed of themselves for judging you. Does your church have a room for mother’s? Or have speakers through out the church so you can hear what is going on when you leave the room? I would suggest if it does, take him to a room you can sit in and maybe try to get him down for a nap. That way he gets his rest, no one is being bugged, and you can still pay attention to what is being said.

My parents would

1. bribe me with donuts after mass

Or

1. get a spanking if the bribe didn’t work

Where he clown at whip his but! Thats old school!

Sounds like he needs a few little pops on the bottom

8 Likes

Find a different church that takes more kindly to children.

3 Likes

All children from babies to terms need to be in church. Do they have a cry room go there. What is his favorite snack or toy? Show him when in church. Does not get ink
Less he is quiet in church. Stick to it. If loud then after church for that day the object of snack is gone. Also take books and quiet toys for him to use but Christian stories and pictures to color. Our son always had TO Joe’s in his hands so this is what we used.

Children are our future!! Keep up the good work :heart:

Doesn’t your Church have a Nursery

3 Likes

needs to be in the nursery

Our church has a nursery and a Sunday school… your should also:)

Most churches have nurserys.

2 Likes