How can I get a double prescription?

How can I go about getting a double prescription for my daughter’s adhd meds? She goes to her dad’s in IL for 2 months for the summer and with it being a controlled substance I can’t mail it – I don’t think. Or can they refill it in a different state? She has Michigan Medicare Blue Cross Blue Shield. Anything helps! TIA!

4 Likes

I’d talk to the doctor who prescribes her the meds and explain the situation they will be your best option in help and tell you what to for sure do or not.

14 Likes

The dr can send a script electronically to a pharmacy near the dad with a refill

6 Likes

I don’t know why you would need a double dose of adhd medication?? Just send the script via email to dad so he can pick them up from his chemist?

That is something you need to talk to your doctor about no fb :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

You can tell the Dr and they can write paper ones with a do not fill date

I would call your insurance provider and see how they handle situations like this

4 Likes

I would think you could arrange something with her doctor to have a prescription sent out by dad for the time she’ll be there, however; I don’t think your insurance will cover out of state purchase if it’s state provided insurance.

2 Likes

I live in Michigan, my youngest’s dad in Florida. He was on Adderall, risperidone, and Clonidine. He goes to dad’s for 2 months, every summer. I had his scripts filled here, and used FedEx or UPS to ship it to him. They have like a medicine insurance coverage thing if lost and the rules for using those service’s are way more relaxed than actual postal service. Also, using them, the receiver has to be 18yrs old and SIGN for the package

1 Like

I currently live in Illinois and if you do have the Dr send the prescription I do recommend they send it a few weeks early even though she won’t be able to get it filled early. My son also has adhd and I use walgreens pharmacy and for the last 3-4 months every walgreens has been on back order and there have been times my son went a couple weeks without his medication because they were out. Walgreens wasn’t able to tell me when it would be back in stock they just said it’s on back order and I would get a call when they had it again. I’ve also called other pharmacies (CVS, walmart) when walgreens was on back order and I was told they we also out! I’m not sure If its like this everywhere in IL, but I just wanted to give you a heads up.

As someone who works in pharmacy in Michigan, I would strongly suggest calling your insurance company and asking what the best course of action will be for you. Whether that’s a vacation override or if they have an agreement to pay for prescriptions in Illinois or pay out of pocket for them. They’ll be able to let you know what can be approved if anything.

4 Likes

You could possibly have a pharmacy there fill the script. Call your child’s Dr. And make arrangements ahead of time. I know my brother had forgotten his diabetic meds at home in Pa and he was able to get his Dr. to send a prescription to a pharmacy in VA.

It’s unlikely you’ll be able to fill two months worth of script for ADHD medication (maybe if it was a non-stimulant)
Three days before the script runs out is the absolute soonest they’ll fill my son’s.

If you go through a pharmacy like Walgreens or Walmart, I would see if they can send the script to a like pharmacy close to dad. This is probably the easiest option.

The other option is to ask for a written script for the doctor and then contact the pharmacy dad will use to make sure they’ll honor it.

You can ask the doctor for a written script for each month for her to bring with her and they can cancel any scripts already put in by the doctor. Scripts can be filled anywhere. We did this when I traveled cross country with my son.

1 Like

I know my mother an my niece both had prescriptions filled in another state. Easiest is if it’s a chain pharmacy they can transfer the refill information.

Have the script sent to a pharmacy that is also where dad is. Then when they send it in call and have it transferred to his.

1 Like

Since it is a controlled substance, they won’t give you a double script, but they will post date a paper script that dad can fill in his state.

When it’s tine for a refill have the doctor call it in to the dad’s pharmacy.

1 Like

Most pharmacies will transfer out of state prescriptions. Call the insurance company for how they’d handle this.

Considering that it’s Medicaid ask your doctor or pharmacist to request a vacation supply for that time. It has to be approved by her plan but it’s doable and easier than trying to have it filled in another state. Most states don’t allow things across state lines unless it’s an emergency

Speak to her doctor and let them know what her summer plans are. They should be able to help.

1 Like

You can get a paper prescription for her dad to refill at a local pharmacy.

6 Likes

Bcbs of ks allowed vacation exceptions so you could fill early. Worth calling and asking the insurance company

Fill your prescriptions at a nationwide pharmacy. Once it’s in the system, you can refill it any where are you are in the United States

The prescription can be transferred to whatever pharmacy you all choose :slightly_smiling_face:

Vacation override- ask the pharmacy if they will allow or paper script

Get a 90 day supply and have her take it with her. My stepdaughter brought hers in her carryon no issue.

Have them send the script to a pharmacy they have, like WM, Walgreens, CVS

Call the insurance company and inquire with them.

I would talk to the Dr and the pharmacy and see what they say.

4 Likes

I believe that the law allows 90 days at a time (that’s what I get), but your insurance may not agree to it. I would start with them.
Also, I use cvs pharmacy, and when visiting my dad in massachusetts, I had no trouble filling my prescriptions at the cvs near him.

If it’s a controlled substance they won’t

Ask your doctor or pharmacy

With BCBS Medicare it can be used in any of the 50 states so she can pick up her refill in another state but the Dr has to send the prescription to the pharmacy in the other state because control substance prescriptions cannot be transferred. It would be hard for her to get a vacation override on a controlled substance like Adderall or Vyvanse. You can call her insurance company and see what their rules are for it but when I worked at Walgreens getting a C-2 medication more than two days before the fill date was a process and a half

Just talk to her prescribing doctor and explain the situation. They will give you the best route

I would talk to your dr and pharmacy, my son’s dr writes his out for 3 months at a time and i use an in-network pharmacy and have no issues

Speak to your insurance people. They can usually do an override since she will be on “vacation”.

Just have the Dr send an electronic prescription to a pharmacy near him and just explain it to the dr

I know when i got my opiode painkillers they only let me fill them in one certain pharmacy. It took an act of congress to get them to do it even for temporary visits somewhere. And most states will only give you a 15 day supply of controlled substances. So idk what to tell you.