How can I contact my daughter when she is at her dads?

My daughter goes to her dads and he doesn’t answer the phone very often. I would like to just call her and talk at least once a day. Is there any kind of child phone that will let me call her/FaceTime her? I don’t want to get her a whole iPhone, she’s only 4. She’ll be 5 this year.

15 Likes

I’m going to be that parent. How often is she at her dads? Is it a bi-weekly/weekend thing or is it 50/50. Because honestly, unless its an emergency you shouldn’t be contacting her. That his time with his daughter. Not your time :woman_shrugging: Unless its been set up as per a court agreement. Let her enjoy her time with the other parent.

123 Likes

Does she call her dad every day when shes with you?? Let her dad enjoy their time together

21 Likes

Get dad on board to have her call once a day. Other than that just let her have her time with dad. You checking in might even cause issues with her wanting to come home which you shouldn’t do.

8 Likes

Just to be clear- most court orders today allocate time to BOTH parent for phone calls while with the other parent. Stop assuming it’s control and that maybe she loves and misses her kid!

10 Likes

What about an IPad? I know you said no phone but it could be dual purpose and worth your money for all the use you can use it on. She can call and FaceTime you.

When my kids are at their dad’s they can call me if they want to but its not usual to reach out to them. Talk to dad and see what he thinks.

4 Likes

I got a gizmo watch for my kiddo. It allows you to call and video chat. And if she doesn’t answer it auto answers.

5 Likes

A basic straight talk phone but will he allow her to have and answer it? My ex would not allow our children to have their phones when it was his week and I could only contact through him in emergencies.

1 Like

Ok so I think checking on her every day is a bit much. We call the kids once a week and when we have the kids for a week or more, BM calls once a week. It’s the child’s time to spend with the other parent. It’s a bit much to talk every day to the child. Might be why his ignoring you. I’m sure you wouldn’t appreciate him calling everyday to check in with her. We wouldn’t like it if BM did and she wouldn’t like it if we did. Its a respect thing to the other parent by allowing them their time without being interrupted. However, if the child wants to call you, there should be no restriction. If it’s absolutely necessary, by her a phone that accepts text and if she’s old enough text her to check in.

4 Likes

Depending on what state you’re in, it’s illegal to not allow communication between the child and parent. Whether it be a phone call or video call.

She’s only 4…that’s why she doesn’t answer the phone lol. And that’s why she probably doesn’t want to talk on the phone either. She won’t answer it or anything either if you get her own phone. Talk to her father about helping her with the phone more often.

2 Likes

We co parented with a dad and he would have his son call me and say good night every night when he had him. He would call every night when we had his son. It worked. I as a mother needs to know my child or not is ok.

3 Likes

Any child anywhere should be able to speak to either parent (as long as the parent is fit) anytime they want. Period. It’s also perfectly fine for either parent to check in daily if they feel like it. Period.

7 Likes

If he’s okay with it, just get a tablet with wifi and use kids messenger through Facebook. In reality though, it is his parenting time and you don’t have the right to infringe on it.

2 Likes

My kids have tablets and I installed kids messenger.

Please just let her have her time at her dads without you’re interrupting it.

5 Likes

My daughter is 7, she’s had a smartwatch for 2 years now and I love it! I can see her gps and she can call/text from it. She wears it at school and also when she’s with her dad. He is pretty good about answering phone calls but it’s nice to be able to contact her directly. I got her watch through tmobile, but I know there are alot of options out there for kids.

My daughter has kids messenger on her ipad that I can call her on!

1 Like

A flip phone, AT&T still makes them

That’s her time with dad, not you. What would you say if he wanted to ring her every single day that she was with you?

I talk to my kids every night to say goodnight when they’re at their dads and vice versa. I see no issue with wanting to speak with her. I would have it written in a court ordered document if he is unwilling to let you call and say goodnight.

If she has a tablet she uses, you can get Facebook kids messenger. She can video call you, and also send voice recording.

Just communicate with dad. Set up a time once a day for a quick call and have him set a timer on his phone to remind him.
Once a day should suffice though. Unless she’s in danger? I don’t understand why you would need more than a quick hello once a day.

1 Like

Maybe he would let her FaceTime you at bed time to say goodnight . A 5 minute call can’t hurt . Remind him it’s for his child not him .

My daughter has a iPad she can only use when she’s on Wi-Fi and it’s set up so she can only FaceTime me or her grandparents.

My 7 year old goes to his dad’s every weekend. It’s his time. I don’t call unless I’m letting him know I’m running late for pickup.

The kids fire tablet will allow them to call other family members. So for my kids it’s just me but I like the feature

There is nothing wrong with checking up on your children… get her a tablet or iPad and show her how to contact you and answer your phone calls. I’ve talked to my kids about answering when they are at their fathers so they have a clear understanding. You should probably have a conversation with your daughter.

We just got my oldest a gizmo watch by Verizon so she can contact us while her sister and herself are at their dads house. It has a an app where you control everything on the phoen. Only preselected numbers can call or text the watch. It has GPS tracking where you can also set alerts if your child leaves a certain area when they aren’t supposed to.

Parents that don’t have to go through this don’t know how lucky they are.

5 Likes

Get it in a court order what days to talk on the phone: our agreement was twice a week for the other parent. Every day is rediculous and more for your needs and not the child’s

Get her a tablet and then look up different apps that you can call her on so you don’t need a cell service. You can get her a Facebook messenger even.

You can have it added to your court order. It’s a slippery slope if he doesn’t agree with it. I would honestly opt for a modification and then I recommend and iPad.

1 Like

My kid has a sync up watch. It’s fantastic

We have the Gizmo as well. Works well for the younger kids.

You can use the iPod touches for FaceTime calls

My kids have refurbished phones from Amazon with no actual cell service. They use wifi and I set up kids messenger so they can contact me or any contact I approved. They can’t add contacts without your approval and you can have notifications set for links and what not being sent

Say hi why, it’s hos tome let them enjoy it. You have her 5 days a week. DAMN.

There are kids watch phones you can call and txt on.you can take pictures but not FaceTime or anything. They are around 10 a month on verizon or sprint. Or download kids fb Messner on a tablet hooked to wifi, but it might be hard to keep it close enough to her that she would answer

Geemee phone perfect for kids

You should be entitled to at least one phone call per day… I’d try to make an arrangement with him, if not I’d take him to court…

When it’s his time let em be.

5 Likes

How about you let your daughter spend time with her dad. If there’s an emergency I’m sure he will call you.

2 Likes

Get a cheap flip phone and put just yours and her other parents number in it.

My kids have iPads that can make calls on FaceTime. As long as they have wifi or data for $10 a month they can call from wherever

Why would it NEED to be iPhone

Samantha Rhode I’m going to disagree with you on this one. I have a great coparenting relationship with my children’s father and their step mom. They do contact the children once in awhile when they are in my care because they are here more often. Id never not allow them to speak to them. However, when they are at their dads (whom they don’t see as often) I’m not taking a few minutes out of his time with the children to say hi. They know there loved and I will be here when they get back.
At 4 and 5 the back and forth even as they get older can be extremely challenging on children. I’m not saying its the case here or everywhere but having a partner who has dealt with a manipulative ex, who has absolutely brainwashed his daughter. Our time is our time and we aren’t dealing with his exs crazy shenanigans. If there is an emergency we will contact but other than that, we are not answering the phone. We’ve seen several judges over this and its been dismissed every single time.

1 Like

Why do you need to contact her when she is with her dad? He is her parent as well. Pick your battles.

Good greif ladies both dad and mom are parents and should both be able to talk to their children no matter who they are with at least they have both parents who actually give a care some parents just hand them over to the other and leave and never return they both made that baby it’s not all about mom and not all about dad it takes two people to get a baby. This is why co parenting is hard because people make it hard . It’s not taken any time away from anyone it’s called co-parenting and actually being decent about it. Mom misses child as well as dad. It’s about the child not petty drama about who took whoes time away the child deserves to know they are missed dearly when not around by both PARENTS.

My daughters dad lets her call me whenever she wants, I really don’t have to call because she has him call me for her at least once a day, and when I have her he video calls her everyday after school. I don’t have a problem with him calling her everyday or 10 times a day, that’s her dad, he has a right to miss his daughter and call whenever he wants too or even when her siblings or step siblings want to call and talk to her. Co parenting is best when it’s kept only about the child. If there are problems with a parent calling their child that’s a deeper issue that needs to be fixed. I would never take time away even if it’s a phone call from my child’s dad, grandma, aunt, uncle or whoever.

Facebook kids messenger. You can control who they add and you can even see who they talk for how long and see the messages sent. I’ve had it for my son since was like 4 or 5. They can talk to their friends who have kids messenger and other family you approve too.

Verizon has a gizmo watch. It’s a watch she wears that allows you to call her as well as track her location. If u call her 3 times and she dosent answer u can have it auto answer. Also it has an sos mode.

Set a time with dad to call you.

They have watches you can get.

Tablets for kids you can FaceTime