Girl I babysit has a lice problem, what should I do?

I babysit a little girl at my daughters school and she keeps getting lice- the little girl not my daughter.

I don’t want to offend her mother but I also have two little girls of my own that would be nightmares if I had to try to treat their head due to lice. How do I nicely go about telling this mother I can’t watch her daughter anymore until I know for sure the problem is handled?

94 Likes

Honestly I would just tell the mother straight out and offer her some help if she needs. The best thing that helped my house hold get rid of it was a shampoo called sklice you get it through a doctor and it works wonders within 2 treatments there all dead and then wash and spray down everything super good

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Girl I babysit has a lice problem, what should I do? - Mamas Uncut

I would ask the school nurse to inform the Mother!

5 Likes

I would just be honest.

5 Likes

Just apologize and say I can’t babysit your girls due to lice problem simple as that but if u want to be Nicer come up with i got covid and i got to quarantined

2 Likes

Maybe gently talk to the mom about proper precautions on getting rid of lice. That you have to treat other things in the house than just the little girls hair. Maybe mom doesn’t realize that & thats why she had the reoccurring problem…

2 Likes

Be honest and frank. Head lice is the worst.

2 Likes

Don’t worry about offending her just tell her no excuses everyone cleans there head and that’s that

2 Likes

Just make sure your tone is in check and flat out tell her. There is no room for sugarcoating it. It is what it is.

4 Likes

Say it just like that. She should understand and as a mom I’d want to know of that.

2 Likes

Got to tell her are your problems are getting worse

I owned a lice removal company…Google lice removal, she needs professional treatment.ill answer any questions u have…

2 Likes

Just be straight up. You get lice from clean hair not dirty hair. Maybe she don’t know? I’d just tell her.

1 Like

Just be upfront and honest

1 Like

Just be honest, lice happens, but don’t risk your littles getting it too.

1 Like

Exactly like that, be real but kind and any mother would understand that the issue needs to be resolved

1 Like

Everyone needs to be checked, there are companies out there

1 Like

I would be honestly and tell her just like that.

2 Likes

Use tea tree oil in shampoo, conditioner and use it mixed with water in a spray bottle. They will never get them. And let the mom know to use it which will help all of you in the end. You can also use it on the furniture. Or you can get Rc spray to spray on all furniture. A lot has changed over the years and schools don’t do much to help anymore. It is never a hard topic as long as you are understanding with one a other and honestly one may just need help cause it’s obvious that other kids must have it in the school class.

Honestly, I would just tell her up front. She can treat it herself or go to a salon to get it treated. My daughter kept getting it from her friend and it got to the point where I would do head checks before they could stay at the house. It’s embarrassing at first, but it’s a health risk. Maybe the mom doesn’t know that you have to wash everything in the house. Even sofa pillows need to be put in the dryer at a very high heat. Stuffed animals and everything have to be washed. Maybe let the mom know and have an instruction sheet on how to get rid of them for her to take home with her or emailed to her. Good luck.

1 Like

I would just say something. Tone is everything. But does the mom not see it?? She must brush her hair. That poor kid. Lice is a PITA to really get rid of. Also Mom may not realize it isn’t just treating that one head. It’s everyone and everything needs a HOT WASH

I would give her mom tips on how to handle it and ask if there’s anything you can do to help her. Just be friendly and not judge mental about it. I suggest not using the over the counter lice treatments and instead using the mouth wash method, you can find it online. I struggled with getting lice frequently when I was little due to my dad’s girlfriends kids giving it to me when I would go and visit. the only thing that worked and kept them gone for good was the mouth wash treatment. Also make sure she washes all bedding, couches, stuffed animals, clothes, etc with HOT WATER and drys it on high a few times to ensure they all die off. You can also suggest tea tree shampoo/conditioner or they even have special kids shampoo/conditioner to prevent future lice from popping up. :slightly_smiling_face: I hope some of this helps.

Just tell her you cannot to take her until the lice and house has been treated and is for sure gone

Lice prefer clean hair. I used to go through this with one of my oldest daughters. My then step-daughter always had lice and constantly shared it with my daughter. The first time, I had no clue what to do. A little research and talking to the pediatrician and I figured it out. To be honest though, maybe her mother doesn’t know. I would say gently be blunt about it. You can’t beat around the bush because some people honestly don’t know how to deal with or treat lice. It’s not just the infected hair, it’s the whole house that needs treated.

Just tell her she needs to get it out of her daughters hair maybe she don’t even know?

When my nieces come over i spray em lol i swear by this

1 Like

Stop babysitting till she gets rid of it

Kids are sent home from school for having lice

Lice is common in kids I would just tell her that you noticed it and dont want to take chances having your girls get it also offer pointers cause it is a nightmare my youngest daughter had it a couple times but it was the super lice the prescription treatment didnt work so I looked up home remedies and I tried the mouth wash overnight and it killed the lice and eggs I then soaked her bed clothes and furniture in it and havent had the problem since

3 Likes

Just tell think of the little girl and she’s going through

Trust me, look her in the eye and tell her,point blank- I will not watch your child until the head lice is completely taken care of. Period.It’s a night mare and not worth risking your family AND home! My kids got lice from a kid at day care and after all the work to get rid of it, they got it again from the same kid who’s parents didn’t treat!!!horrible experience! Treating the heads is hard enough,but your whole house too?? Uhhh

2 Likes

You said it very nice to us. So say it to Her. Honesty is best .

1 Like

Why don’t you just get the treatment put it on the little girls head then hand the mum the receipt. Just treat the childs hair and tell the mum you’ve had to ??

The Mom, is probably having the same issue…lice can re infect until the sources are eradicated…clean hair ,warm body and close proximity…all invite ice. Lice evolve and become resistant to otc lice products…if your child is infected more than once in few weeks, please seek professional lice removal…Do nightly checks…and protect with Pepper Berry spray.

Ugh I feel you…my youngest catches it the most and now I use a tea tree spray conditioner mix I made in her hair daily. I hate lice the most! I dread seeing them in her hair because my hair is almost down to my a$$ and it is SO HARD with long hair. I fingers crossed haven’t seen any in her hair for a couple of months now

It happens !! Just let her know use the over the counter lice treatment if you don’t have lice treatment shops to go to let her know in a friendly manner to wash everything put combs and brushes in a sealed bag for 30 days and for a preventive care rinse hair in vinegar every day!

Add tea tree oil to shampoo to help prevent. It is a health issue so focus on that when bringing it up and how it would be affecting your family.

1 Like

This shouldn’t be about anyone’s feelings it should be about the health of these children!
Tell her, and keep her child separate from yours until they are cleared of the lice!!

Not only is this bad for the health of the child, but I’m sure people other than you will notice, this could cause this child a lot of issues, at home, at school, it could even lead to some pretty nasty bullying!

Tell their mother, if she doesn’t listen, tell her again, if she still doesn’t listen, report her for neglect!

You can tell her straight up. And also put some tea tree oil in your kids shampoos and conditioners (very little it goes a long way) to keep them from getting it while at school.

1 Like

Ask if you can put mayonnaise on her hair and wrap it in a towel. Then wash it before time to go. Do all of theirs. Have a salon day. Several of them.

1 Like

Just be honest. I’d want to know. With my daughter’s hair, its is just dark enough I couldn’t see them. She really wasn’t scratching either.
When the school called, they weren’t going to send her home but I went and got her.
Combed and combed, covered her head in Dawn, combed, rinsed and coated her hair again with a plastic wrap cover for an hour. Combed and washed it out. Combed again. Whew…:woman_facepalming: Not too mention everything got washed or put in black trash bags until I washed it. Her whole bed was in plastic after that too. She got it 2 more times BC the original kids had parents who didn’t care. When I complained, the nurse said those poor kids had had lice for several years. :pensive:

You can still watch her. Just put everyone’s hair up in a bun or pony tail and put the hairbrushes away lol. Tell momma nicely and offer to help her☺️

Just come right out and tell her, or your kids will wind up with them.

Tell her. She needs to know.

Campho phenique. Works on 1st try. 1 bottle per head. Leave on for 20 mins. Shampoo hair. Use nit comb after

Just tell her. I watched kids who all 3 had lice bad for a little while and told their dad (who was single and working long hours) i would treat their hair if he treated the house. I did it Twice and my own house daily and they kept coming back. I stopped watching them until it was taken care of. Its a serious problem in public settings. My brothers kids had it for 3 years on and off. It was TERRIBLE. All from public school

1 Like

Just out with it that mess to get out of hair is a nightmare
After out start putting tea tree oil in it’s either shampoo or cond

A trick I learned. Is mix water and apple cider vinegar. After wash hair everyday spray with mix. I had a older mother tell me this.

Just talk to her way u would wanna be talked to

1 Like

Get coconut oil use the whole container they will evacuate

Definitely tell the mother!!!
if your children already play together I’m sure they might get them & it will start a infestation & you don’t want that. They are hard to get rid of !

That’s terrible (on the school’s behalf that is​:unamused:):bangbang:
Sounds as bad as freakin scabies​:bangbang::100::weary:

Just like u worded on here just tell her

You need to tell the parent period end of story. You can also put tea tree oil in their hair.

Have her use tea tree oil. It repels them

Just be honest but watch your demeanor, don’t come off the wrong way or say the wrong thing. Communication can take a quick left turn with one wrong word…

1 Like

Lice is a hell no. Simply let her know that you can’t babysit due to it being contagious.

2 Likes

Give her info on lice removal. If she’s not treating the bed linens, furniture, etc. it’ll just keep reoccurring.

Daycare would have made her leave work to pick them up tell her they can’t come back til it’s gone straight up

Just like you posted. Im sorry I’m not trying to be an ass but I can not watch your child until you fix the issue. Any other daycare wouldn’t let them back in…good luck

Tea trea oil is a preventive, about a table spoon per shampoo bottle. It will get rid of it & keep it away :heavy_check_mark:

I had a woman that babysat my boys. Every Friday she would check all of their heads. She let me know that she did that and I was like great that’s awesome. I would tell her that and let her know you found it.

You just have to tell her you can not watch her until the lice and nits are gone.

Start off by saying one of your girls had/have it so you checked her daughter and she also has them. Ask her if she would like help with treated her daughter hair. If that doesnt work notify the school nurse. Let the school be the one to tell her.

2 Likes

Just let her know. If it’s just starting she might not know. On the other hand she could know and be struggling to defeat them. If you didn’t mind maybe you could help her out. Then the both of you get some relief.

Paw Paw- no joke is better than any lab created chemicals. It ACTUALLY gets rid of them! (And this was after turning the things into super live by treating them with everything else.) Get her some!

If you want to avoid any conflict just call the nurse at the school. Thats the best way to do it. And honestly a call to the school needs to happen regardless bc imagine how many kids could have it. Most schopls do rutein head checks anyway. Thats your best route. Good luck momma. Walmart sells rid bedding spray for under 5 bucks i would keep that on hand.

Just be honest about it. Say it in a nice way bc people take big offense to it and think you’re calling them dirty, but anyone can get lice of course.

The only thing that I’ve found that works is the stuff the Lice Clinics of America sells ad you can get it on Amazon for like $30…I’ve tried so many things even the natural things that supposedly gets rid of lice or repels it, but doesn’t… and this is honestly the only thing I’ll ever buy again

I used it one time and they were GONE

Yea tree oil for her hair and honestly there nothing rude about it she needs to control the lice herself even sending her child to school is not okay

Just come out with it say Iam sorry but I have to buy sprays for my Furniture and my carpet wash pillows and same in the bedrooms plus wash all the bedding in hot water and put up all stuffed animals and garbage bags or any toy with hair so my children don’t get this I’m real sorry but you need to take care of it before I can watch them again thank you

1 Like

It’s lice not the plague. Pick through her hair when she’s with you and let the mother know you’re willing to help get it under control. Be the helping hand that little is probably embarrassed enough. And if that doesn’t work for you. Then do what you feel is best for you and your kiddos :heart::heart::heart:

5 Likes

Should be your policy that if infected or Ill they remain home

4 Likes

I mean it’s just not ok I would send a special notice stating the health hazards and that until it is officially cleared up you will no longer be providing services. If there’s an issue you can permanently terminate services. Also if you do resume services and another child in your care ( including your own) contract said head lice they will have full financial responsibility for those infected.

Tie ur hair up and wear a beanie

Mayo and neem shampoo kills them

Just tell her she’s got lice and you can’t babysit until it’s clear. A lot of people bury their head in the sand.

3 Likes

Be up front. Lice is NOT fun to play with and it’s not cheap to get rid of. Be honest and tell her to fix her house before she comes back because you don’t need nor want it in yours. You can say it as politely as you can.

2 Likes

Use dollar store flea shampoo

Jis help her. Get rid of them.

Tell her you were brushing her hair and saw that she has lice, ask her to treat it, and maybe you can offer to do it for her? I would do it myself so I knew it was taken care of. The little girl needs an adult to help her and not turn a blind eye, now that you’ve seen it, it kind of your obligation to address it, even if your not gonna help.

4 Likes

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwi8ofKdsJjzAhWgbm8EHUzyBqkYABAFGgJqZg&sig=AOD64_0xI6LadAxjdfL08_PImVXTm3Eu1w&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjHg-qdsJjzAhUSQ80KHUEYDkgQww8IwQo&adurl=

This has helped us majorly! My daughter has what she refers to as RePunzel hair and since using this we have had no issues. Also maybe her mom just needs help picking through her hair or she may not know how to treat properly. Ask her kindly if there’s anything you can do to help!

2 Likes

Just be straight up, two week notice. I can’t babysit anymore…and give the mother two weeks to find another babysitter

It’s nothing to get feelings hurt over. Kids get lice all the time. Just tell her. “Hey I seen “soandso” has lice. I’m sorry but I can’t watch her til it’s cleared to keep it from spreading. Thanks!”

5 Likes

“I’m sorry to tell you this, but I’ve seen live lice in your daughters hair. I’m sorry but, due to how contagious they are, I can’t have her over until you’ve got them cleared up.”

I would tell her truth

2 Likes

In the uk the schools no longer check for lice sadly and they spread like wildfire if its not caught quickly
Id be honest. Tell her you’ve noticed her child has lice. Ask her if she needs help dealing with it.
Mom may not have noticed . If she has and is still sending her to you without letting you know I’d refuse to watch the girl again .
Shampoo from the chemist and a bone comb…its not difficult to treat if caught early enough

I would just tell her the truth. I was watching a little boy and the first day he was there I realized he had lice. I called his dad and he was like oh yeah I forgot to mention that… like dad already knew :roll_eyes: I ended up treating him myself. And combing all the eggs out of this babies hair. I was livid

1 Like

Tell her that lice is going around the school and you think you might of seen some in her hair ask her to check

2 Likes

You tell her you the truth and be like until it’s dealt with cleared up watching her has to holt. My son had it I got it from him it took us three times 2 weeks 40$ in laundry fees and 50$ in shampoo

If the child were in school the teacher has to let the parent/parents know and they have to look after the problem.

1 Like

There’s no nice way to say it.

Clean them and introduce her to tea tree oil or peppermint oil. Either one keeps the buggers away.

1 Like

Tell her like you said it here

Besides treating the child remind them that the whole house needs to be as well…

I would tell her and offer her help to treat it tbh x

2 Likes

Why don’t you help her?? Ask her to get the lice shampoo and you treat her hair and help her clean???

2 Likes

Just say …i think your dayghter has contracted lice from school…my kids have had it to i used blah blah blah and it seemed to work but you have to wash all bedding and towels at same time. I can helpif you want…

1 Like

If your baby sitting her, could u maybe treat her hair and then inform her mum that she had lice and if she could continue to treat her daughters hair so your daughters don’t get it , and let the mother know that she needs to treat her own hair also

2 Likes

You’re an adult. Have an adult conversation and just say I cannot watch her until she’s lice free. That’s it. End over conversation :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Just tell her flat out. A mother who is respectful will thank you

1 Like