Does it hurt to get an IUD?

Anyone have an IUD? Honestly how much does it hurt for them insert it. I’m thinking about getting it but I’ve heard it can be really bad.

1 Like

Have had paraguard for years. Love it

I felt no pain the whole 5 years I had it. Loved it.

I have had the mirena 2 times. The insert hurt the 2nd time, some cramping and a little elongated period following. But I think it was worth it. I did not gain weight from it and have had no issues at all. Now I am going through premenopause and they say this is the one thing that they prescribe to control hormones.

1 Like

My first one was awful but the one I just got post partum was a breeze! My doc numbed my cervix first so I wouldn’t feel it! 10/10!

Best thing I ever did. Mirana. Uncomfy week I’d say but so then no period. No cramps no worry

2 Likes

They “numbed” my cervix and it was still excruciating! I will never get another iud. I’ve had 3. Horrible experiences with each one.

I cramped right when they did it, and cramp here and there that day then no pain!

When I got my IUD put in they gave me a shot the kinda numb me a little so it wasn’t too bad. I did have really bad cramps for a few days after but that’s it. Not sure about weight gain but I do have to work harder to lose weight. I haven’t had any issues with it and mines been in for almost two years

The first two times I got the copper iud in it didn’t hurt really just a little pain. But the marina hurt so bad!!! I literally was crying on the table.

I almost passed out, I had to stay an extra 20 minutes sipping juice before I could drive home. I had a ton of pain for days later and ended up needing to go in for an xray. Found out it shot through my uterus and was just floating inside my body, I needed emergency surgery before it perforated my bowels. I had them insert the arm implant while I was under anesthesia and that one worked well for me.

I got mine put in then worked a 12 hour shift no problem … Got it removed though because the hormones in it made me suffer with severe panic attacks.

Getting an iud was uncomfortable but didn’t hurt

It’s an experience that’s different for everyone. Pain is different for everyone too. Mine was like pressure than it was fine and worked great the entire time had it with no problems or side effects but everyone is different.

I had one and I only felt cramps during and after it was inserted

First day it was like menstrual cramps. I’ve had 2. Murena. No issues.

The first time I had one I went home had a massive panic attack and almost passed out, but the second time I got one wasn’t as painful and that was after a child. But you do get cramps, and they say it doesn’t cause weight gain, but I’m pretty sure it does and it makes it super hard to lose the weight also.

Yes. It was more of the process less of the iud. He kept telling me to relax my cervix… I don’t know how to do that. Lol I’m dreading getting it removed and replaced

Ive gotten two iuds plus have had cervix biopsy (they dont numb u either) it hurt just as bad if not worse :confused: both iuds failed (one was stuck in my cervix nd the other just came out during a period)

It all depends on the person and tolerance. I had mild cramps but took a Motrin and was good to go. Some people need a day off or some resting time. Only you know your body.

I got numbed so it wasn’t that bad. But I had to have someone else drive me home because I got lightheaded and almost passed out

It hurt, if I had it to do over never again, plus after a while it worked its way out. Didn’t have a replacement, it wasn’t worth all the problems it caused.

Does not hurt really just feels like ur getting cramps for your period mild ones then after it’s in nothing. I was scared of it hurting too freaked myself out for no reason lol

I honestly heard the same thing but the worst for me was the bleeding for awhile after I got it.

You can have small contractions. I hated my IUD. It embedded into my uterus and caused tons of cysts and weight gain.

I recommend Nexplanon implant, good for 5 years now, and they numb u… I’m about to get my 3rd one soon… never had any issues w it and don’t have to worry about it coming loose and falling out

Mine hurt but it was bearable and 100% worth it, it reduced my symptoms by like 95%

I the Mirena about 3m after I had my twins. I had some cramping for a few days, but overall insertion of it was about a 4/10 for me. I have very few periods with it, but once I changed jobs that required me to climb in and out of trucks all day and walk up/down stairs and carry pts and equipment i felt it shifting and it was starting to become uncomfortable just sitting down. Had it about 3.5 years

About a week after it was taken out I got pregnant with my 3rd girl.

Yes badly I got two. Look up a video

Perforated my uterus… hurt so bad. Figured it out by accident months later. Needless to say, never again lol.

2 Likes

For me the attempted insertion was awful and the Dr couldn’t get it in. My cervix would not open (I was 6 months pp from baby 3) so the dr stopped and said I would need to have surgery to complete the process.

I yelled f*** during insertion. I bled a bit. Had cramps all day. The aftermath was worse… I ended up having 14 day periods every month for years. Had constant infections from it. After every period i got a bacterial infection no matter what i did to prevent the infection. They refused to remove it until the 5 years were up. Took a year for my body to go back to normal after it was removed. I also have had several friends have to have it surgically removed bc it imbeded into their uterine wall or it migrated and was floating. Never again…

1 Like

I’ve had mine in for 4 years, it was a little uncomfortable getting it inserted about the same as having a pap test, my dr gave me some Aleve afterwards for the cramping and also a pad to wear. I had some minor bleeding for a couple days but that’s about it.

It’s pretty painful and I had cramps for an hour or two after but I hardly have a period at all so it’s worth it.

I’ve had 3. Never had any pain or cramping during or after insertion of any of them.

I’m odd woman out. I didn’t feel a thing :woman_facepalming:t2: it was the first day of my cycle tho. Maybe that’s why?

Let’s just say for me after insertion and having it for awhile it’s not bad. It doesn’t bother me. But getting it inserted was pretty shitty. I wouldnt do it again. Period cramps are 10x worse with my IUD in. I have Paragard. After my next baby my tubes are coming out.

I cramped bad! Took it out around 4 yrs of having it , all cramps stopped and never felt better. my periods are irregular now though

I got the mirena IUD and it hurt so bad. It was literally like I was being stabbed in the cervix and I had both of my children naturally. I seriously wanted to cry. Also for some reason when she inserted it, it felt like I was going to poo with my legs still in the stirrups. I honestly think it should be illegal for them to insert them without any kind of numbing medication.

4 Likes

Mine went moved many many yrs ago had removed in hospital .

Dont do it, and you spot all month.

My doc told me they have ones that look similar to an IUD but it’s now put through incision on the inside of your upper arm. Does the same job. I’ve heard nothing but terrible things about IUD’s.

My insertion hurt bad, won’t lie. And that day was full of contraction like pain. I actually blurted out “f***” during insertion. Thankfully I knew the provider well :joy: But, it was worth it and labor is by far way more painful. You can take advil prior to insertion to help! And everyone is different, it was painful for me, but you might not even feel it.

Insertion wasn’t bad for me but removal was. The removal pain is why I chose not to get another. I also experienced pain during sex a lot.

I think it should honestly be illegal to put those things in without numbing or being put to sleep. They say “a little pinch” but mine felt like my whole lower half was being stabbed. It felt like somebody plunged a knife into my lower abdomen and the pain radiated thru my whole midsection. Oh and the side effect were so horrible for me that I was so desperate I tried to pull it out myself then ended up in the ER to have them remove it because my DR was closed. I do not reccoment there’s so many other options

Mine wandered and grew into my uterus please be careful getting something placed in your body

After childbirth it’s not bad… but if you have never had kids vaginally it’s excruciating. That being said I hated all the ones I tried.

I took like 3 ibuprofen before the insertion but, I didn’t feel anything other than just cramping afterwards.

The copper iud did hurt then gave me really bad cramps, the mirena didn’t

You cramp for a few minutes but I had horrible experience so I will never get another one

It was worse than giving birth for me! It’s awful

Get the one that goes in your arm. You’re risking some pretty serious issues and pain by getting any of the vaginal ones. Also annoying that they can fall out, migrate and puncture your uterus lining and get lost inside you. I would never get any type inserted vaginally. It’s obviously your own choice and some have no issues but more then not there is complications and a lot of pain to accompany that. I vote no. Get the arm implant, depo or just remember to take the pill each day.

Hurts less than child birth. Suck it up. Lol