Can you get into a tanning bed while pregnant?

Has any mamas went tanning in a tanning bed while pregnant? Everything I’ve found has said there’s been no evidence of risk to baby while tanning. Would like to see what others have experienced. Thank you

99 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/can-you-get-into-a-tanning-bed-while-pregnant/19463

I believe you’re safe, as long as you’re belly hasn’t gotten too big to be too close to the lights to touch it and burn

1 Like

Why would you?
Just because there have been no studies doesn’t mean it’s safe or unsafe BUT raising your body temp is unsafe which is why tanning beds and hot tubs aren’t recommended by most doctors

15 Likes

I tanned with all 8 of mine!

2 Likes

Why not self tanning lotion???

Go lay out in the sun, or go ahead and pop a little burnt toast outta that oven :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

4 Likes

Your not sun bathing the baby… :blush:
Just remember your skin will be more sensitive so could burn easier. Also, UV rays could lower your folic acid which baby does need.
Personally, I’d ask your OB and see what they recommend n say…

5 Likes

Think of it like roasting your baby lol. Please dont.

5 Likes

I did with all 3 of mine. Just better to stand up cause you never notice how flat the beds are until you have a belly.

2 Likes

I did but I also suffered a back injury and was in no longer then 10 to 15 mins and I used sunblock…

You know what they say. When in doubt….don’t tan while pregnant!

3 Likes

Who still uses a tanning bed these days?

7 Likes

It is dangerous to over heat when pregnant,please dont take the risk.

8 Likes

NO . Absolutely not -

3 Likes

Temporary beauty in exchange for scars down the road……I have had 26 cancerous spots removed, had to do medication for the cancers as well, every 6 months I have biopsies and surgeries to get the cancer out. Tanning beds are very dangerous, the cancer risks.

14 Likes

No risk to the baby perhaps but plenty of risk to you, their mama! Please don’t. My best friend died of melanoma at 26. She left behind 2 boys aged 5 and 7. She didn’t even use sun beds. It’s really not worth the risk… EVER!

8 Likes

I wouldn’t its too risky

IT LITERALLY SAYS NOT TO TAN WHILE PREGNANT. I’ve worked in places where we’ve had tanning available and as an operator of the tanning beds if you’re pregnant we are NOT supposed to let you do it. Why would you risk that?

Just tan naturally. You’re not supposed to raise your temperature above body temp… :face_with_monocle::face_with_monocle::face_with_monocle:
To each their own though.

10 Likes

No. No jacuzzi, no overheating

2 Likes

Better not to take the chance

1 Like

I thought we all agreed tanning beds are just bad in general. Pregnant or not?

5 Likes

Tanning beds
Huge Cancer risk
Dont use them

1 Like

You can’t even stay in a hot bath for too long while pregnant. Definitely do not go tanning.

3 Likes

This question is still getting asked?

1 Like

Absolutely not. Even when not pregnant, avoid them. Get a spray tan or the st tropez self tanner.

1 Like

you couldn’t wait until after the baby is born??

4 Likes

You can, just don’t overheat

1 Like

Tanning salons will generally turn you away if you’re pregnant

2 Likes

The best thing would be to ask your doctor. They can give you the answer and tell you the risks involved and why it is or isn’t ok.

2 Likes

Can someone please let me off this dumbass planet!

Just talk to your Dr see what they say

Please do not get into a tanning bed ever like ever at all! They are illegal in most places for good reason. Heard of melanoma ?

9 Likes

No it isn’t safe and they usually ask that question on the form you fill out for tanning the first time. If I remember correctly they are not supposed to allow you to while pregnant

2 Likes

Melanoma Cancer is a real thing… they’ll cut out a chunk of your body and you’ll pray it doesn’t return…pull that coffin led down on that tanning bed… you’re digging your own grave…

1 Like

It’s kind of similar like getting into a sauna. Not safe…

Curious where everything you found said no risk? Highly unlikely. Is “everything” some other pregnant woman that is full of shit?

Tanning beds break down the folic acid in your body and your skin is way more sensitive when pregnant so you are higher risk of burning. Also if you get too hot baby is at risk xx

1 Like

Bad idea. Get a spray tan

1 Like

Pregnancy can be rough I felt so awful during mine and being tan made me feel better about myself - however I did not tan while pregnant. I used to work at a tanning salon and they will not allow you and I would recommended it even if you found a place that did . Maybe you could find a self tanner but I’m not sure what brand would be best

Considering a hot tub is prohibited I suspect a tanning bed is a no too

it’s 2023, the self-tanners are so good. As a former bed-tanner, just stop. :no_entry_sign:

Id suggest a spray tan
Otherwise Self Tanner /Tanning wipes chk Amazon !!!

No risk to baby but it’s one of the main reason of getting melonoma. Being me you don’t want to get a melonoma cause you won’t like the treatment or being told sorry we can’t do anything and you only have so long to live. I’m a melonoma survivor

5 Likes

Lol no. You can wait a few months

1 Like

Are you for real :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Why take a chance? Ask your ob gyn

I think for 9 months of ya life u can go without a tan… Why would u even wanna go on sunbed when pregnant when they so dangerous

Yea. No. I love having a tan.
I love laying in the tanning bed. Never lay more than 15 mins maybe 2 times a week.
But even I never tanned while pregnant.

I don’t recommend tanning beds while not pregnant. Melanoma is very real. My step dad died from it. And it was very hard to watch him go through that.

3 Likes

You can’t be serious…

Have you not seen final destination!? It’s a nope from me

3 Likes

You’re gonna be the parent that doesn’t believe in sunscreen because you want your kids to tan🙄

4 Likes

your skin is super sensative while pregnant. i never burn. i rarely wear sunscreen. i always just brown. i went to the beach with my family at 27 weeks pregnant and fried for the first time in my life. pregnancy hormones are real when it comes to your skin being more sensative. i’m now 29 weeks and my shins are still purple/red and healing from the sun. it isn’t worth it.

1 Like

Just use false tan u can’t go on sunbeds pregnant plz don’t try

Call your doctor and ask

Is this actually a question :interrobang::interrobang::interrobang: Throw on bit of fake tan till baby comes

1 Like

Pregnancy is said to make skin more sensitive to sun and heat so I probably would wait.

My dermatologist has instructed me never to go into a tanning bed. Ask your OB, but tanning beds are not safe for anyone.

4 Likes

l get paid over $167 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18899 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info. https://amazingincome656.pages.dev/

I usually feel like if I have to question it during pregnancy. I don’t do it or I ask a professional (my OB). A good alternative would probably be a lotion self tanner or maybe even a spray tan but again, asking your doctor is your best and safest bet. In my personal opinion, I feel like tanning beds are in general just not safe for anyone but at the end of the day, to each their own.

1 Like

I don’t feel all the uv rays would be okay for the baby, just do a spray tan our carefully use the sun. Sorry you can’t ask a question without being made to feel stupid. You can double check with your doctor but I’m pretty sure it’s unsafe

1 Like

No way,stay away from those tanning beds

It raises your body temperature so that’s not good for the baby. Just like hot baths, hot tubs, and fevers.

1 Like

I would think it would be really bad for the baby. Don’t those things get hot?

I don’t even think the place will allow pregnant women to tan. Don’t they have signs that say no pregnant women? Why risk it?

4 Likes

They raise your body temperature which Drs advise against…but rays either from natural sun or tanning beds cannot penetrate the womb .

The UV in the tanning bed is the same as the natural sunlight it’s just more concentrated.
The issue would be your body temp being raised. The UV wouldn’t directly harm baby, but overheating in the mom has been associated with spinal malformations in the baby.

2 Likes

I guess we know whats more important…poor baby its gonna have you for a mother

7 Likes

I tanned in a bed while pregnant with my youngest … my Dr said it wasn’t much different from tanning in the sun and overheatING was the only real danger … :woman_shrugging: … course that was 15 yrs ago … n I had to wear baggy clothes cuz the salons would kick me out … :rofl::woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging: … p.s. my sons 15 and great …

1 Like

I wouldn’t even risk it.

3 Likes

20 years ago smoking and drinking did no harm ether

5 Likes

No, absolutely not. If they tell you not to take a hot bath or lay on a heating pad so you don’t cook your baby then I would say no

5 Likes

l get paid over $167 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18899 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info. https://amazingincome685.pages.dev/

Like is this a for real question? You can’t even get in a hot tub while pregnant…the answer is hell no

14 Likes

It is safe to go for like 5 mins at a time. The signs are there for their protection. It is like having one glass of wine. They have signs up for that too but doctors will tell you it is ok every now and again. Don’t let people’s judgements make you feel bad. The rays help with depression, and that might be why you are craving it:)

1 Like

That’s a question better suited for your doctor. My thoughts are why would you want to risk your child for a tan🙄

16 Likes

This will be ur baby

6 Likes

Try Spray Tan. Or a Self Tanner?

3 Likes

Ummmm, no. It’s not safe. It would be way too hot to be in one of them. You aren’t supposed to go into jacuzzis for that same reason…

2 Likes

No. Are you mad? Baby will overheat

Nope. Once i found out i was pregnant i stopped and haven’t been back since…almost 7 years ago.

1 Like

I don’t understand even why anyone would use a tanning bed period, just lay out it’s summertime

2 Likes

This is a question for your doctor. However no, the baby won’t overheat and the uva and uvb rays from a bed will not penetrate through your stomach and reach the baby. The risk, like a jacuzzi is YOU overheating. If the bed is properly ventilated and has strong enough fans you shouldn’t over heat. You also want to follow recommended tan times to ensure you don’t burn. Burning doesn’t equal tan.

5 Likes

Same as being outside …I’f you feel too hot get out …u won’t necessarily over heat but it can happen. That’s the only concern with a tanning bed. No different then being out at a 90 degree beach.

No. My OB doesn’t want me doing anything that raises my temp. You also are more likely to burn than tan.

It’s not safe even if you’re not pregnant!

2 Likes

I would say skip the tanning bed until after baby is born. But it’s probably best if you call your ob and get their advice. If you do opt to tan when you get out of the tanning bed do it slowly.

I owned a tanning salon and we were not allowed to let pregnant woman inside of them.

3 Likes

It’s not safe, pregnant or not

1 Like

Absolutely not. I did spray tans during my pregnancies which my dr said was a safe alternative. There’s also self tanning lotion you can use.

Overheating can hurt the baby. It’s common sense.

1 Like

:open_mouth: I can’t believe this :bangbang:

They might use the term bun in the oven but that does not mean you LITERALLY BAKE THE BABY. GOD NO

7 Likes

You will turn your baby in to a hard boiled egg just like in a hot tub

4 Likes

The risk is high for you love getting skin cancer why would you even attempt to do that while pregnant

2 Likes

You’re not even supposed to sit in hot tubs/really really warm baths while pregnant, at least for more than like 5-10 minutes due to the risk of overheating and that causing miscarriage.
Go for spray or tanning lotion

3 Likes

Actually my Dr told me 13 years ago there was nothing wrong with tanning when pregnant OCCASIONALLY! However you do not want to over heat… I had a friend who also tanned a couple times a month just to have some color… We had the same doctor lol… Don’t come at me… Just saying what my own Dr told me over a decade ago lol

I mean I personally wouldn’t, but there are definitely risks

The risk is overheating. Half time and just be aware of your temp. Just like being outside when it’s 100, you wouldn’t stay out. The vitamin D from tanning is a huge benefit while pregnant.

2 Likes