Can my 5-year-old be in the room when I give birth?

Would I be able to have my 5 year old there when I give birth ?

1 Like

Honestly it may be traumatic for them to watch at such a young age; my sister went in to labour when I was 24 and I’m still traumatized…:skull::grimacing::joy: I’ve had 4 of my own and couldn’t imagine putting my kids through watching there mother in so much agony

2 Likes

Most hospitals will probably tell you no. I know the ones in Missouri don’t allow kids under 13 or 14. If you want that you might consider doing a home birth with a mid wife. Personally I think that would scare a 5 yr old to death.

2 Likes

Depends on the doctor and hospital. I could’ve had my child there but would not want them to be.

2 Likes

Your best bet, would be to contact the hospital and ask them.

I live in ny and the policy at my birthing hospital is no children under the age of 13 can enter the maternity until. 

I would imagine no. Both of my sisters couldn’t have any in the room. But I would talk to the doctors and see what they say.

I had my youngest in AZ and it was the only time my kids were in the room. The youngest (at the time) was 2 and the oldest was 13. I also had my niece and nephew in there. It was so freaking annoying. My mom was watching all the kids but wanted to come with me. The nurses just had them stay in the corner of the room and eat Popsicles. I wound up hemorrhaging before my water broke so I bled everywhere when it did. If I were a kid I would have been so traumatized.10/10 don’t recommend.

This was also was pre pandemic.

I am going with ask the doctor and hospital

This makes me sad. For me to want a child in the delivery room would be because I didn’t have anybody to watch them.

That’s the only reason. And that is sad.

1 Like

My four year old son was in the room with me when I gave birth to my daughter but that was 25 years ago. It never hurts to ask the Dr/hospital.

probably not, but ask your doctor

I had my daughter in the room when I delivered. The midwives recommended it they said they think it helps with the first born not being jealous. They ask that we have someone there to take care of her if there was an emergency. It is honestly one of my favorite memories. Once the baby was delivered my oldest started to sing happy birthday and everyone in the room joined in, the nurses, midwife, and family. It was an amazing moment!

1 Like

most say no check with your hospital

I had my oldest in the room when I gave birth to my youngest and he was only 1

It’s your birth you choose. My kids were at mine

Probably you can, you must clear it with the hospital first.
If you are having a home birth, definitely.

However, for the actual birth, I wouldn’t.
I think it would be too much for the 5 year old.
Perhaps in the early stages of labor when you can handle the pain but not when it gets intense.