Can I Sue My Ex Wife for Using My Surname?

This question was submitted to our community via our Facebook page and/or our Answers forum. Responses are also taken from the community. If you have your own parenting or relationship question you would like answers to, submit on Facebook or Answers.

QUESTION:

"Can we sue my ex wife for using my surname? Divorce with no children and it was messy as hell. She made a big show of making sure her surname was changed to her maiden And I’ve recently been shown her using my surname still My current wife and I have children and I think it’s super disrespectful to them I’ve asked her to stop using my name but she refuses"

RELATED: Cheryl Burke Speaks On Sobriety Battle And Divorce From Matthew Lawrence

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

The following top answers have been selected by a moderator from hundreds of responses to the original question.

"This is exactly like a ring argument, unfortunately you gave it to her…"

"Nope. If you were married, it is now her name even if you divorce. I mean, if it bothers you THAT much, you should offer to pay for a name change"

"People can legally change their name to whatever they want. Probably not gonna win this one."

I guess if it was actually written in your divorce she goes back to her maiden name but if it wasn't then no

"Why are you still even checking up on her? Move along. Plenty of people probably have the same surname as you. Get over it."

"You’re divorced with no kids. Therefore, no ties. Why you so obsessed with what she’s doing? Focus on your current wife and your children."

"No u can’t. Unfortunately that was her last name legally. I would say pick ur battles."

"She doesn’t have to. You can literally change your last name to anything."

"If it bothers you that much, Offer to pay for her to change her name back."

"Unless your order stated she had to, there’s nothing you can do."

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

Lol this question is extremely petty. Is his current wife doing a good job at being his wife? If so mind your business