Can I get paid to babysit my friends kids?

A friend wants me to watch her children for her while she works, she said the state of Tn will pay me. How do we go about getting that done?

24 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Can I get paid to babysit my friends kids? - Mamas Uncut

She would have to get on the waitlist for state assistance. It does vary per state but unless your a licensed place, at least in my state they will only pay a blood relative & it’s very very little pay. They pay more towards a center.

3 Likes

If she applied to child care assistance I presume

Iowa you have to get licensed and they’ll pay. But it’s not very good pay

2 Likes

In Illinois its crap pay. $16 a day per kid

You would need to be approved by the state to get licensed to get paid by them… also it takes time. And also if she makes too much money she won’t qualify for daycare assistance and will have to pay you herself. But call your local dhs office and ask

You have to go fill out paperwork. Be inspected. Be fingerprinted and have a background check done.

In Ohio we are required to take classes and get certified to babysit.
Contact Job and Family Services

I got licensed in Michigan and went through EVERYTHING CPR etc and the girl (family friend) I was watching for said she would get all the stuff taken care of so the state would pay me…it never happened. She ended up having all 3 kids I watched taken from her because the newborn only 2 months old at the time was being abused, shaken, by her boyfriend (at the time). I had to be interviewed by a police detective. Never got paid. I had dates I watched them, the dates I got paid by her, and length of time I watched them and I was told I couldn’t do anything about what she owed me even with all my documents and a written signed and dated contract, I watched her sons almost 3 & almost 4 neither was potty trained so that’s why she didn’t have them in daycare, for almost all of her pregnancy. She paid me sporadically for those 9 months. She would always tell me they keep messing up her paperwork so it would be even longer. It was an absolute fiasco. I’m in Michigan. Even still I document EVERYTHING and have things signed just to have bases covered any time I babysit for anyone.

2 Likes

Yes through the food stamp office. She will tell them you babysit for her. They will send you a check.

Yes. She will need background check, fingerprints, cpr class and home inspection.

Yes! Yes, you definitely can get paid through the state. She just needs her welfare worker to get it set up with your social security number. It actually goes pretty quickly. They’ll pay back to the date that she started working and you took over with the kids. It’s just like paying a daycare. And , there’s only a background check and finger prints. You no longer have to do anything else like them inspection of your home. As long as you don’t have a record, you’re fine. It’s a good check too.

I currently live in Tn and going through something similar… In order to get paid through the state you have to go and apply to be an in home child care… If you have any questions you can pm me…

Your home has to be inspected and you have to take CPR classes and be certified and you need to be licensed. It’s a long process.

If you want to get paid to help your friend and be able to work from home, it’s worth it. If you need money to pay big bills, it’s not enough pay, unless you charge her extra after

She should know if she told you.

You don’t need a license to get paid by the state in Michigan at least the last time I knew but it’s been years since I went though it. They will send you the paperwork. She has to give them your information and tell her caseworker. Her caseworker will make sure u get the paperwork so u can be paid. They don’t come to your home to check it out. However make sure u put money aside for taxes or u will pay in. Keep track of your hours because you will have to turn it in and they should back pay u as well.

1 Like

Check if you have to be licensed in that state in order to get it. Most states require it

I’d imagine there would be a lot of paperwork though… inspections, you’d need to be registered with OFSTED, DBS checks and first aid trained

I did this and I can tell you the pay was horrible. I would never do it again

1 Like

All states are different

She has to apply for childcare assistance through workforce. It depends on what she makes on whether or not they will pay for her childcare assistance.

Yeah after months and months of applications, inspections, red tape, etc etc. don’t let her make you believe it’s going to happen in a day or two nor do they back pay.

1 Like

Your friend has to apply for daycare assistance in her state and fall within the required income brackets.

1 Like