Can I file taxes if I didn't work?

Has anyone done this? I was told that even though I didn’t work in the last year and made no income I can still file taxes to get the refund for my two kids? Is this a real thing? I did not work at all or make anything this tax year.

9 Likes

I’m pretty sure you have to make a certain amount to qualify for the child tax credit

5 Likes

I made just over 1400 cuz I got pregnant n had baby. I couldn’t get the child tax credit so hubby claimed all us we are not married. I still filed and got like 70 bucks back lol

You have to have EARNED income of at minimum of $2,500 in order to qualify for EIC or CTC. :slightly_smiling_face: In the prior few years under covid relief, that was the case, but not this year.

In my state that was only for the last few years because of COVID. You have to have an earned income of at least $2500 in order to file this year.

1 Like

You won’t get anything back but you should always file taxes :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Yes you file. Everyone files taxes.

3 Likes

I think it depends on the state u live in but MN has a 2000 minimum. I was under that by a few hundred dollars and only got back like $300 :confused:

Depending on where your from i know in canada you need to even if you didn’t work because you have to file in order to get benefits when you have children and other credits you may be entitled to

My husband is a CPA if the children lived with you for more than 6 months of the year, you are the parent who has the right to claim them as dependents, you can file to get that money credit. We have a client who has 4 kids no husband and does not work.

Why would you file if you didn’t have any earned income? You don’t have to file if your only income is ss.

1 Like

Make sure you file for free because you will not be getting a refund. You’re better off letting whoever took financial care of you and your children claim all 3 of you.

8 Likes

How the hell does anybody file taxes on money they didn’t put in?

10 Likes

You need at least like 2000$. Direct deposits and $$ wires counts. So if you think you got at least 2000 from someone during whole year, then you can use that as income.

I called and if u didn’t work u can’t file cause its Earned income child tax and if no earned income no money

2 Likes

I was told by my longtime CPA the year that I didn’t work (because I was caring for my mother who was terminal with cancer) that I could not file. I would trust my CPA with my life, so I did not file. Be sure to do your research and ask a qualified CPA.

4 Likes

You will not get the child credit I was told I could and it’s false! You can file but you ain’t getting a refund for the two kids I have two kids as well and I got no return

1 Like

You didn’t earn you cannot file taxes on money you didn’t earn what the hell are you applying for if you’re going to file taxes on money you didn’t earn the key words are money you didn’t earn!!!

4 Likes

This is just gross
You didn’t pay anything in so why try and take from it?
CHILDREN ARE NOT PAYCHECKS

19 Likes