At a loss of how to help my father in law

Now I have a whole new issue: my father in-law had to move in with us, because he can not live a lone anymore. He’s extremely under weight and very sick. I’ve been trying to get his calorie count up and slowly he’s gained a few pounds. He has serious heart, kidney, and vascular issues. He’s 6ft 105lbs…. How do I help him gain weight but manage his health issues on a diet, all while I try to lose weight? He refuses to eat any vegetables or fruits and doesn’t like fish or chicken.
66 Likes

Is he struggling to eat? Did he have a stroke? If he is having a difficult time eating, or swallowing or keeping down he should be seeing a gastroenterologist. They can talk with you about options like a feeding tube. If that route is taken; do not let them push ensure or any kind of canned formula. You can blend anything and tube it. Otherwise start making him smoothies and adding fruit, veggies, hemp and flax, peanut butter or pb protein powder, and extra creamy oat milk or vanilla almond milk. However he has patients rights. If he is of sound mind, you cannot make him do anything.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. At a loss of how to help my father in law - Mamas Uncut

My boys increased their protein during football season. It helped keep weight on.

Has he tried any boost drinks?

4 Likes

Pasta, carbs, lots of high fat

2 Likes

Lots of breads n pastas

Give him a milkshake and do supplements with food.

2 Likes

Make milkshakes with Ensure or another high calorie supplement.

Increase protein or use protein shakes… u can or made drinks or powders

Smoothies ,Endure, high protein, Boost,Toast,eggs,pasta,squash, corn, oatmeal,bananas, potatoes

See if he will drink some ensure or protein drinks. I got them at Walmart close to the medicine isles.

1 Like

Ensure, you can get the high carb/calorie ones. I had to drink them after my csection to help healing!

1 Like

Protein, protein && you guessed it PROTEIN!

1 Like

You can get a powder that you add to fluid that increases calories. Can’t remember the name but we used it in the care Home. Also use double cream in things like mash , porridge etc as higher in calories x

2 Likes

I don’t see how anyone can be healthy if they won’t eat vegetables.

I suggest boost or protein shakes

Beans potatoes cornbread. Beef! Protein shake!

1 Like

Ensure would b a good start. They also have diabetic friendly shakes to

1 Like

Smoothies, protein shakes, lots of protein if you can, and look at recipes where they hide vegetables in things like for kids maybe? If he doesn’t know it’s there he may eat it.

2 Likes

Yep. Protein drinks like Ensure or something like that

Add high calories things to his food . I.e cream in to porridge , cream in mashed potato . Milkshakes made with full fat cream and ice cream.

1 Like

Marijuana edibles. He will eat everything in site, and KEEP it down. It gave my grandmother an appetite when NOTHING else was working. It was miraculous. Blessings to you and your family.

14 Likes

Meal replacement drinks

2 Likes

Ensure or boost. And maybe speak to a nutritionist.

1 Like

Also whole milk mixed with instant breakfast mix… are very helpful through the day.

My dad has many health issues and has lost so much weight…he has complan…you can buy it from the chemist…:blush:🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

1 Like

Ensure with a scoop of ice cream,every night after dinner. Add instant mashed potatoes to his gravy,soups and stews. If he can tolerate nuts leave a small bowl of them with in reach. Whole fat milk or 1/2 and 1/2 in his hot cereal.Egg Salad is also high in protein. Steak and eggs for breakfast, loaded scrambled eggs with veggies and left over proteins and potatoes. Good luck,I am praying for you whole family :pray:

1 Like

Milkshakes with protein powder if allowed.

1 Like

Maybe chicken dumplings might be more to his liking, potato onion soup cornbread. Good protein in pinto beans fried potatoes onions greens and cornbread. Fried pork chops fried potatoes green beans. Liver onions mixed greens mashed potatoes.

One of the easiest ways to boost calorie count besides things like Ensure is to add heavy cream to everything you possibly can. Next would be just jam packing him full of proteins he will eat. Mashed potatoes with heavy cream, sour cream, shredded cheese and bacon bits does wonders.

Young one what does he like to eat? They do have products like Ensure to help with him. My Pops(RIP) use to pour them in to a bowl - freeze it then chop bananas or honeybunches cereal as a topping. He also would do chocolate chips when he could get away with it.

1 Like

Those protein shakes and powders. My son that I adopted was under weight. It helped him gain. Three flavors vanilla, strawberry, chocolate and I think has Carmel too.

1 Like

Chili peanut butter sandwiches and cornbread. Big pot of goulash and garlic bread. Nice roast with potatoes onions carrots celery rolls.

There is equate protein drinks ( or regular brand but I am on a budget and my father doesn’t mind the off brand chocolate is the best) have him drink 2x a day

2 Likes

Let him eat whatever he wants, whenever he wants… they also have shakes that are 220 calories that can help… I’m not sure if public can buy them, but we use those at the nursing homes I work in

2 Likes

Red meat helps gain weight. Starches and such will help but make it one meal and a snack like lunchable type snacks, you know what I mean? My mom was losing too much on chemo and was weak so she had to snack more to keep her levels up. Keep stuff for both of you in the home, it’s a lot of work but you can’t forget about yourself. My mom dealt with feeling forgotten and my dad didn’t know how to shop. Oh, leafy greens for him, and you.

Ensure Max Protein!! My dad had a stroke and can’t swallow good as a result. Ensure is about the only thing that has helped him gain any weight at all!

The hospital used Ensure for my grandpa. And when he didn’t want to drink it I got them to make him milkshakes with it.

Ensure make like milkshake

High-calorie milkshakes. I add ice cream and milk, shot of vanilla. Dr can also give him a supplement to increase his appetite.

2 Likes

Premier protein shakes. Have you guys asked for a referral to home health or to hospice to help you guys with his needs. If you have not I strongly suggest talking to his doctor and getting a referral for one of these agencies and they can help you through this difficult time. It sounds like hospice might be the better fit for him based on what you’re describing. I am a home health nurse :slightly_smiling_face:

Ensure…keep them cold. Several times a day.

2 Likes

Sneak them in meals, sneak the veggies in chili and pasta sauces, smoothies, add protein if his dr says it’s ok. Sneak them in dishes he wouldn’t think they would be in! Lasagna too

1 Like

Add a table spoon of olive oil to his meal.

Definitely Ensure :ok_hand::heart:

4 Likes

Also, do smoothies - sneak fruit and veggies into his smoothies - works like a charm :ok_hand::bouquet:

3 Likes

Blender breakfasts are great - I had an Alzheimer’s patient / I would put everything healthy in there - peanut butter, organic milk

1 Like

when i was pregnant trying to gain weight I was having this milkshake with chia seeds and hemp hearts and virgin organic coconut oil and bananas it’s so good

Please don’t list to these high protein & high calorie recommendations. A lot of protein is not good for his kidneys. Reach out to his doctor to see what their recommendation is. A high calorie diet wouldn’t be good for his heart & vascular system either. Best of luck.

1 Like

Dorothy Adamson, maybe some ideas for pop?

1 Like

Peanut butter protein balls.

Premier protein shakes are delicious but they are low calorie… but maybe could drink in between meals… my grandfather drank the ensure max and the chocolate ones I’m not gonna lie they slap fr… and are High calorie for such a little drink … but also maybe just having snacks around that he likes… my grandma was always trying to get him to eat buying pastries apple fritters and such … I hate those so it wasn’t a temptation for me.

There is actually a weight gain prescrition he can get from his primary. In addition to high protein add ensure to every meal. My fil had the same issues. Very sad he was being starved by his son and daughter in law. He is now at a perfect weight and is very independent.

Ensure. My mom used to use it.

The drs can prescribe drinks to help gain weight

What about some meal replacement shakes

Have you tried protein drinks? Boost sells a boost protein!

I feel like this should be directed to his doctor. I understand looking for opinions, but he needs help from a dietitian because of his health issues. Some of these recommendations would probably do more harm than good.

1 Like

Maybe consult a dietician for him? Extra calories. Protein and fiber.

1 Like

You should be able to get build up shakes from GP pasta milk, blue top.ready brek made with hot milk

Talk to a doctor or nutritionist. He might need a feeding tube to help too.

Have you tried Ensure as a supplement. I would talk to his doc.

1 Like

A meatloaf can include many vegetables. Ground or grated carrots, potatoes, turnips, etc. He need not even know.

1 Like

Get him set up with a nutritionist and GI dr. They will more than likely recommend putting him on boost or even pediasure. They do have high calorie formulas. You can also add MCT oils or lipids. You can also buy pediasure powder and mix it with 1.5x the powder recommended in the mixing amount

1 Like

Protein shakes, ensure drinks, honestly kinda let him eat whatever he wants (within reason) just to gain weight.

1 Like

Sustigen hospital formula.

I don’t recall anyone gaining much weight from vegetables so THAT’s a futile effort. Try ice cream and steak, fried stuff, doughnuts and whole packages of bacon. If you’re trying to get his calorie count up, try feeding him calories instead of diet lettuce. See a doctor about prescribing marijuana for the appetite, it’s been known to work.

2 Likes

Recommend you have a visit with a doctor. Hopefully they can come to you. Because of his health conditions he probably needs a specific diet. Best of luck to you and your father.

1 Like

If you can get him to drink carnation breakfast essentials it will help, and tastes better than ensure. My youngest had a lot of problems gaining weight and it was recommended over ensure due to taste and cost. Definitely talk to his doctor though and see what is recommended.

1 Like

Will he at snacks like potato chips? About 10 calories per whole chip. Crumbled on baked mac & cheese or other casseroles. Mayo is mostly fat and high calorie and can be included in may things. Will he eat a milk shake? A frozen banana, cut up, plus milk and honey whizzed in a blender or processor is delicious and nutricious. Same can be done with berries but you might want to strain out the seeds.

go to Dr they’ll give him medicine to help him gain weight my cousin weigh 98 lbs couldn’t gain weight she went to her dr he gave her medicine she gained to 195 and looked good

When my husband was ill with cancer the only thing we could get down him was nutritional drinks. He also loved a fried egg mashed. We’d get farm fresh eggs from my daughters neighbor.

Ask his doctor about a pill called cyproheptadine I was on it for an eating disorder and anxiety .
It helped me build an Appetite and not have anxiety or nausea after eating . You can sneak it in his food when if he refuses to take it .
He will build an appetite he can’t ignore while feeling less stressed about what he’s eating. This helped me . I would starve myself and rely on shakes & other drinks because I feared nausea and stomach pain after eating . Being on this medication took away the anxiety and stress of eating .
I’ve gained weight and feel like myself again

1 Like

Soup to get his veg intake up . I put all sorts in mine and blend it
Milkshakes …Best if you make your own if you can. That way you can add yoghurt/fruit and blend it
Can buy meal replacement drinks …he may get them on prescription…puddings if he likes them…fruit tart /custard type thing
Does he eat pasta ? Can hide allsoets in pasta sauce

1 Like

When my MIL came to live with us, she was the same. Wouldn’t eat a vegetable to save her life and these changes will help you gain weight and lose weight so it’s a win. I changed my meal plan game. I switched out my broths for a bone broth (healthy switch for both of you), i’d blend veggies into all my sauces and soups, (healthy switch for the both of you) Feed him pasta and swap out your pasta for something like spaghetti squash or zoodles, use ground turkey in place of ground beef if you are using anything less than 7/93% because the protein is higher in the ground turkey than the 20/80 or lower of ground beef, (better swap for the both of you) used sweet potatoes in place of russet potatoes and hopefully you can incorporate oatmeal into his breakfast as well as yours; you can add heavy cream to his for the extra calories, while adding fresh berries to yours to keep you feeling full longer (a win for the both of you)

1 Like

Go see a :sparkles:Health care Provider​:sparkles:

2 Likes

Protein smoothies, hearty soups and stews.

THC? IDK where you live but if he is dangerously low weight you may want to try and increase his appetite, not just the calorie content. You could give him an edible.

2 Likes

Get some ensure its weight gainer drink

Ensure and Carnation are chemical sludge smoothies. Our elders deserve better!!
Get him some weed. Guaranteed he will eat anything you present to him.

1 Like

What about granola? Using high calorie foods like nuts, avocado, red meat potatoes?

You need a dietician. Seriously. Talk to his Dr.

1 Like

Protein shakes with fresh fruit added for flavor

My husband lost 60 lbs due to illness and his cardiologist said he could have what he wanted after his surgery. He tried for a few months to gain his weight back and the only thing that worked for him was regular Cokes. He gained weight quickly but isn’t over weight by any means and very healthy.

1 Like

Will he drink smoothies? You can add a lot of different healthy foods into a smoothie without making it taste like them. I recommend googling different recipes if he’ll drink smoothies.

Is Marijuana legal in your state ? You can buy eatables ,or smoke products. The old jokes about pot . Causing munchies is no joke.

Do you have any home health care visiting him? Look into programs that might be able to get you a nurse visit a couple times a week at least. Find out what he does like and just make that. Ask him or whoever knows if he can’t communicate. Ensure is a great high calorie drink we use in the care homes. There’s high-protein ice cream and yogurts also. I think of my husband, he is the pickiest eater and one day I’m sure I’ll be making burgers into the grave just to keep him eating.

1 Like

Orgain has a yummy chocolate protein shake

I had to drink Ensure when I accidentally lost a bunch of weight after my stomach surgery. It helped a little, but I’m still pretty underweight.

Talk to his doctor and a dietitian!!!

Get a Ninja and go crazy

I swear by potatoes. If you can work some form of potatoe into every meal it will put some pounds on him

2 Likes

Boost or ensure my grandpa went down to 93lbs and got him on those and got him back up to 116

1 Like

Look up the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan…so many ways to add nutrition and good calories to food!

Protein shakes are great for supplementing his caloric and protein intake. You can purchase them at Walmart in the pharmacy area. Just ask the pharmacist.

Talk to the nutritionist. Make a list of what he likes and try to make it as healthy as possible.

Ensure, high protein drinks along with high calorie meals

You need to speak with his doctors and dietitians. Also join some kidney and heart fb pages and ask people who live with it daily. I have CKD and I’ve been doing peritoneal dialysis for 16 years and there’s a lot of restrictions with foods. Same with heart disease

4 Likes

Pasta for lunch, pasta for dinner …pasta …he will gain…if he likes it

1 Like