Anyone else struggle to read to their kids?

feeling a bit embarrassed and ashamed about my parenting so I’m going anonymous. But anyone other parents have a hard time reading books with their children? I have two daughters 5 and 3, I keep trying to read books with them every night, I’m trying to make it a routine but they are completely uninterested. I let them pick out the books when we buy them and come time to read it they can’t sit still or just don’t care. What am I doing wrong? I’ve been trying to do this with them for such a long time…

2 Likes

Hey not every child likes to read books before bed. Pick up another time to read when they are interested. May be your kids want to just talk or play before sleeping. Do what they like , so you can also enjoy time with them instead of getting stressed before sleeping

2 Likes

Honestly my kids didn’t give af until like 6-7 about reading together. I would always try and they just weren’t interested. Now we read and take turns reading a page together. Sometimes they’re just not there yet

1 Like

When I read to my kids they would muck around and play up so I stopped reading and they had to just go straight to sleep . After a few times of stopping the books they got the idea that they got the attention and book once they were good

2 Likes

They get to a point where they will start to enjoy being read to, my 3 year and 17 month old are the same way. They just try to rip the pages out or throw the book but I still make it a routine even if I am just reading to myself.

1 Like

You have to make it fun and interesting. Ask them questions about the story, talk in funny voices, have them make the sounds of animals. Let them interact and they will love it.

1 Like

My 2 year old grandson just wants to play with the books…He’s done with me reading after the first sentence :laughing:

1 Like

Continue reading, let them play around they’ll eventually (consecutive couple weeks) will start sitting there listening to the book. My kids 6,4,2 love our bedtime book time. (I hate reading out loud but I do it for them to have a good wide down routine before bed)

We don’t read books at bedtime. It doesn’t work with our routine :woman_shrugging: We usually read while supper is being prepared or we are waiting for it too cook. Sometimes we read in the morning, Sometimes we don’t read :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

My one that has no interest is ADHD, so it’s too boring to them lol.

Try reading while they roam around and play. They can still hear it. Try shorter or more exciting stories. Try getting books with characters they love.

Don’t worry. Could be age, just dislike of books, just wanting to play, etc. Nothing you’re doing wrong.

My one doesn’t care but the other loves stories.

I’ve been reading to my little one since she was an infant. We start with nursary books. Now she gets to pick the book and we read 2 books before bed and 2 books before before nap too. We also read to her throughout the day when she asks. It’s one of her favourite things to do. She’s 3.5. She actually a very active kid but has no problem sitting for a book.

You keep trying , some kids just cant sit there

1 Like

My kids do not like reading and have never been interested in reading books. I hate reading and never read to them either.

With that being said they can read and test above average with state averages at school. :woman_shrugging:you don’t have to be interested in books …