Anyone else have a kid that will not eat?

Does anyone else have kids that won’t eat? My son is almost 4 this weekend and he will not eat food only sweets. I’ve tried not giving him sweets but he won’t eat unless I do. helpppp

2 Likes

Is this an exaggeration, or is this child actually eating nothing but sweets? If so, this cannot be new behavior and depending on how long it’s been going on, will lead to malnutrition. Perhaps investigating whether or not the child has an underlying mental disability that’s contributing to the food aversion? Certainly consult with their physician on which supplements you should be adding (Pediasure, Carnation, etc.) to their diet while you work on whole foods. Tell the child they must try at least one bite of a regular food item, before they can have a sweet and limit the sweet to something small. See if there are any patterns in what sweets the child prefers. Certain textures, colors, shapes, etc., and start having them try simple foods that follow those same concepts. (ie: if the child prefers cold frozen sweets, try making your own frozen yogurt pops, or if cake like sweets, bread with hazelnut spread, etc.). It’s not always as simple as ‘just don’t’ with children, especially those that may be on the spectrum, or have other disabilities that cause food aversion.

3 Likes

Don’t buy the sweets. From my children’s pedestrian years ago “I child will not starve themselves. Keep offering them nutritious choices and they will eat”

7 Likes

Whose the parent. Just don’t give an option. That or go hungry. He will when he is hungry. It’s hard to do patience.

5 Likes

When he’s hungry he will eat. Quit buying sweets :woman_shrugging: simple as that.

4 Likes

He will eat if he has no other option but healthy food. Let him go hungry and be stubborn but once he realizes that’s alll he’s getting he will eat it.

8 Likes

My 6-year-old he’s gotten a lot better he has autism so food can be a little difficult but we made it a rule you have to at least try it at least take one bite if you don’t like it you don’t have to eat it we’ll find something else but it has worked he has found out he absolutely loves mushrooms it’s crazy that he’s a picky eater but he loves all kinds of veggies and mushrooms it’s very odd lol his favorite foods are watermelon mushrooms broccoli and spinach in that order

My son is Autistic we have worked hard to get a small small safe foods. That he will eat all the time. Best to just keep trying to offer other things even if he refuses keep trying. My son loves chocolate but only gets it after and always a small portion. like 3 m&ms type thing. Junk stuff is ok in moderation. but not as a meal and never before actual food. If he won’t literally eat anything go back to basics with homemade baby food. you can get the vitamins and nutrients he needs.

You are the mom and you should make the rules not him.
Stopping buying sweets and snacks should be the first thing you should do.
Do not give him choices , give him the meals , he will refuse but he is not going to starve himself.

A sweet can be a week price if he eats his food every day

1 Like

My mom always said eat what’s before you or go hungry.

2 Likes

You’re the parent. Stop buying sweets. They will eat when they’re hungry.

He won’t eat anything else because he knows he doesn’t have to and you’ll just give him what he wants… You’re the parent. Act like it

6 Likes

He’s not eating meals because you give him sweets. Stop giving sweets. Involve him in buying & preparing him food for meals. Give him sweets only as reward.

He doesn’t need sweets as a reward.

1 Like

Make him earn it by eating regular food first.

Tell him eat your food and then you have sweets

2 Likes

He can’t eat what you don’t have in the house. Quit buying sweets. He can have fresh fruit for a snack. When he gets hungry enough he will eat. And you’re the parent not him.

4 Likes

I agree my son is 4 and I almost never even buy sweets. I never have and he eats salads steak some greens.
If you don’t buy it he won’t have a choice. Usually after holidays like Christmas he will stop eating real food and expect sweets. I make food like I normally would and he ends up hungry for a few days than eats regularly again

He won’t eat cause he knows you’ll give him sweets…

3 Likes

U r the adult right??? Don’t buy anymore sweets. When he’s hungry enough he’ll eat. Your 4yr old should not be running you

Super helpful comments here :roll_eyes:. Sounds like food aversions. My 3 year old is the same way. She will literally go days without eating, and I feel terrible for it. Sometimes you gotta think outside the box when it comes to the typical toddler likes. Mine won’t eat chicken nuggets, mac & cheese, hot dogs, etc. Instead her food rotation consists of golden grahams, lettuce, green peppers, pepperoni, olives, cheese, jello.
If he shows interest in a food you’re preparing, let him have it, he might surprise you and like it. That’s how I discovered my daughter likes lettuce, she could eat almost a whole head, and I never would of thought she would like it. You could try protein bars or shakes, they make so many different flavors in both now. I recently found one that is chocolate mint, tastes just like a Thin Mint! She’s warming up to it slowly. I would also suggest vitamins and talk to your pediatrician and get their recommendations. Our first ped gave the same generic advice, give her what you make, try again in an hour if she doesn’t eat it, offer nothing else. Easy to say when it’s not your kid going days without food. Hope this is helpful!!!

1 Like

He’ll eat what’s offered when he’s hungry enough. Don’t allow him to push you over with this.

Duh, quit giving him sweets…

1 Like

Quit giving him sweets and junk food and stop buying it he can’t eat what you don’t have in the house. That can’t be good for his health either.

1 Like

First things first, talk to your pediatrician. Make sure there isn’t any physical or mental reason for this behavior. If there’s nothing medical, keep offering healthy food and don’t give in. He will eat eventually. But definitely talk to his doctor first because 1.) If there is something physically or mentally needing attention then there are therapies and ways to help him properly, and 2.) Because if there isn’t anything wrong, you need a paper trail incase someone thinks you are maliciously not feeding him when in reality you are offering him healthy foods and he’s throwing a tantrum. Its doubtful that anyone would say anything, but if for some reason someone thinks you are neglecting him, you have proof that you talked to a doctor and have been offering healthy food.

Edited to add: You can also try to give him choices to start out with so its less of a power struggle. Don’t offer sweets but tell him he can choose between chicken pieces or broccoli and cheese for example. Let him know he can choose but if he doesn’t choose then you will and thats what will be for dinner. No parent wants to make their child feel powerless, but he also needs to know you are in charge, not to make him feel bad or invalidate his feelings, but because you know whats best for him and you want him to be healthy