Am I wrong to let my kid skip school?

Am I a bad mom if I let my kids stay home from school one day? He is 7. Has high functioning autism, adhd, ocd and severe anxiety. Kids keep picking on him at school. One kid started a physical fight with him yesterday. But because my kid hurt him he had to stay in the office for two hours while the other kid went straight back to class. Now he’s crying and his stomach hurts (from anxiety) about going to school today. I kind of want to give him a break

19 Likes

MENTAL HEALTH DAYS ARE A NECESSITY! :clap:t2::black_heart: you aren’t a bad momma, advocating for your sons mental health, and personal boundaries makes you an AMAZING MOMMA! :sparkles::muscle:t2:

11 Likes

I give my kids “mental health days” when I can tell they need a break. You’re not a bad mom for giving your kid a free day off school. And if I were you, I’d be going in to address the bullying problem because your child getting punished for being picked on and/or beat on, is unacceptable. IMO

3 Likes

First off your not a bad mom. Second be your sons voice, his advocate. Stand up to these kids that are bullying- make sure the school knows that you are not happy with them. I would 100% be requesting a meeting ASAP with the principal and the other child’s family. Children need mental health days as well. Wishing you all the best

9 Likes

My 12 years old has been getting the bullying since Aug to now I have been making all the trips and file charge those kids. I told them I’m taking him home for his mental health and refresh his mind for next day with better day. He has been skipping school due of his emotional and mental issues by those bullying kids. You’re not a bad mom. You are doing right thing and he deserve to be home to have time to refresh his mind and spend the day with his mom. You got this mom!

2 Likes

Your not wrong for giving him a break . But make sure to raise hell with the school and notify them of these other kids . And you might also want to talk with the parents of these kids that are picking on your son .

Give him that break mama. My mom did the same for me and I now do the same for my kids. We all need mental health days.

3 Likes

I give my son mental break days. Probably more than I should but he needs them. I also have to send him to a crappy school with not so great teachers and the coordinator for his program is targeting him because I stand up for him. It’s like sending him to a bad job he hates everyday but he has to go. Good on you for watching that mental. It is important!

I give my kids mental health days! Sometimes it’s needed.

2 Likes

Nah I’d demand we have a parent meeting with the other kids parents. Its either that or I find out myself and handle it. It’s not a joke and it is not funny and needs to be handled. Let your kid have a mental day that’s fine, but handle the problem too.

You’re definitely NOT a bad mom if you give your son a mental health day. If he doesn’t have you to advocate for him then who will? He needs it and so do you. Hugs

2 Likes

I let my child have a break every once in a while. Everyone needs a mental health day from time to time! You’re not a bad mom! I’d say you’d be a bad mom if you didn’t listen to your child and put his needs first

He needs that break but you also need to speak with the school more about the situation. That other kid never should have gotten off for antagonizing your child to the point he can’t handle it anymore. I’m so sick of kids with disabilities being punished for things they can’t control while the other kids who instigated everything get off Scott free

2 Likes

I think mental health days are great…but if you let him stay home the day after the incident he might try saying he’s sick so he can keep staying home.

Mental health days are real. Kids deserve them, idk where ya live but school should hopefully be over soon

1 Like

I would be towing a fit about the other kid , getting to go back to class right away,. They were both in the wrong , they both need equal punishment

It’s ok to give him a break. Kids get stressed out just like adults…

I do this with my kids as well, it’s needed at times

Nothing wrong with taking a mental health day every now and again

We all need mental health days. Let him stay at home. And talk to the principal and teachers. Bullying is not acceptable.

My daughter’s in kindergarten and we do mental health days. Sometime life becomes a lot and you just need a break :woman_shrugging:

Everyone deserves a mental day from life at any age.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing.

Let him stay home and contact the school. There should be zero tolerance for hands on.

A break is in order for sure :hugs:

Let him stay home, then go to the school and raise hell he didn’t start the fight, tell them he is handicapped and you are going to sue them for depriving him of the education he is entitled to. Go to the principal and have the other kid suspended.

Mental health days are sooooo important :white_heart: you’re an amazing mom for knowing when they’re needed

You’re an amazing Mama! You are your child’s strongest advocate and you know him best. My children don’t have issues at school and I let them have a day off every few weeks (we make it a Mama-Daughter/Son Date) which is super important. Last one we went ice skating with hot chocolate.
Chat to the school. If it doesn’t get fixed I’d be removing my child and homeschooling. Wishing you all the best

This is what I don’t agree with schools. I feel both children should have been in trouble because nobody was there to really see what happened and they both did something and they both should have consequences.
Let’s take my situation my son was on the bus and he ended up getting punched because he said something not so nice to the other kid. Now the other kid got in trouble at school but not my son. However when he got home he got in trouble because he shouldn’t have said anything to instigate a problem. Just because my kid didn’t hit anyone he should have kept his mouth shut and that would have never happened. So I feel for you and we all need mental health days just make sure to teach them healthy coping mechanisms because it will only get worse if they don’t have those tools.

1 Like

My kid also just like this. Haven’t had a diagnosed yet if his stomach hurts from anxiety or not. His stomach hurts. I told his doctor that it could be from anxiety. But if his stomach hurts from anxiety experience from the day before I let him stay home. You have a right to let him. I have.

You are not a bad mom! I would be up at the school talking to someone n getting stuff squared up. I’m that mom that would raise hell and high waters about bullying my son. I wouldn’t care that my son stood up for himself. I teach mine to stand up for themselves. Teachers are bullying as well I’ve had this one time with my daughter n I was at the school giving them my piece of mind.

Let him stay home he deserved a break for sure. I personally would have something planned for him n myself the whole day after I left the school.

Your a great momma u got this. Be the voice for him

Nope.
Today is my birthday and I wanted to drive an hour away from home to go to the beach for the day, and have lunch, and I wanted to include my 7 year old so she skipped school today.

Nothing wrong with a child needing a break too!

1 Like

Absolutely NOT…
Give your baby a mental health wellness day.
You do what you feel is best for your child.
I give my kids mental health wellness days at least twice a month. Wich they are teens in high school now, but no matter the grade, school is a lot on a childs mental health.

Do what you need to do, do what feels right. Don’t worry about what others say. Maybe this a good day to talk about how to handle difficult people. Go to the library and get some books about these sotuationsy

My daughter was being bullied…teachers said she was lying…she told me she food dumped on her…teachers said she must of started it…she told me she got pushed down the stairs…teacher said we didn’t see that on camera…two days later she was bit by an 8 year old classmate because she had the chair the other girl wanted. I pulled her out till they solved the situation and now transferring schools. This kid was not punished just had to move her seat! School’s need to do better!

Let him stay home. Once or twice a year I let my kids stay home for no reason. It’s always our favorite days

I give my kid mental Health days all the time.

Have you ever considered keeping him home? The school clearly is unconcerned with his needs.

Let him stay home its okey, now with the school be his voice its not okey to be bullied and get punched for sticking up for him self. Go up the chain principal, supertended of school district, get and advicate to help

Everyone needs a mental health day now and then

Kids need mental health days too

Give ur baby a break momma. And don’t let anyone tell u ur a bad mom for that.