Am I wrong for going back to sleep when my kid is awake?

My baby wakes up at 5:30 sometimes 6:00, if I’m lucky. I put on Ms, Rachel and set a timer for 30 minutes for an extra few minutes of sleep. I do feed her and change her. My family is shaming me for doing this. Is this bad and should I not be doing this?

30 Likes

I used to put my babies on my bed, turn the TV on and go back to sleep. That was after a diaper change and a feeding. Moms are tired

22 Likes

Tell ur family your tired and to help instead of shame you. :melting_face: moms need sleep too.

22 Likes

When my oldest was 2 I was pregnant with my 2nd. I would get a snack and put on his favorite show, give him crayons and paper, and lock my bedroom door (we were both in my room) so he couldn’t leave lol. I was exhausted. Sometimes people fall asleep on the couch while the kids are playing and it’s not looked down on. I don’t get the issue as long as your child is safe :woman_shrugging:t2:

12 Likes

Not gonna tell you, you should or shouldn’t. I wasn’t able to sleep If the kids were awake. Makes school days easier too to just get up. But parenting I’ve learned is not a one size fits all. You do what works most of the time, and some of the time people won’t agree.

8 Likes

I used to always do something like this for my daughter. We need sleep to. :tipping_hand_woman:

1 Like

How old? I do this with my 4 year old. She’s perfectly fine and I make sure she has what she needs and she knows to come get me off the couch if I doze off. I never fall into a deep sleep

Who’s the one making bottles, changing diapers, waking up at 3am, cleans house, bathes baby? Anyone who DOES NOT do those things on a daily basis to this child has no ability of “shaming” you. Just use your common sense on doing so. Be aware that “unexpected accidents” ARE a thing and can happen to anyone.

5 Likes

It’s your child. Tell them to mind their own.
I work overnights so I do whatever I have to with my 18 month old and 4 year old so I can sleep. You know your child.

2 Likes

As long as the baby is fed and dry, people should mind their own business.

2 Likes

I personally wouldn’t but when I was heavily pregnant with my 2nd, I accidentally fell asleep for a bit on my 6 year old once n when I got up and said why didn’t you waken me she said you are tired. She even said to me after this if I was tired go asleep and she will be fine. She was playing a game on her tablet and was totally fine, we were both in the livingroom with all doors locked, but god did I feel guilty x

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t, when my kids are up - I’m up. But if your fam is around enough to have an opinion maybe they can come a day a week and watch your kid so you can sleep in for a couple hours.

2 Likes

I guess it depends. Is she in a safe space like a playpen, play yard or crib? Then yes provided she can’t pull up yet.

If she’s in a chair, saucer, jumper, on the floor free, or a bouncer, absolutely not. That’s so unsafe.

(I’m an infant teacher!) however, your parenting is your parenting. People are gonna judge you no matter what you do. Please be safe

6 Likes

If it works for you and the child is safe then you are doing good

3 Likes

I personally would never do this. If my daughter is up, I am up. A lot can happen and I would rather be awake to make sure she is safe.

1 Like

Sleep on the couch. Kid has all their needs met. If the child is 4 or older, they’ll be fine as long as stairs, kitchen etc are closed off.

3 Likes

I guess we’re gonna ignore fact you know it’s bad and are here seeking validation…

2 Likes

nope! as long as they’re in bed, safe and all their needs are met

2 Likes

A TV is not a bsbysitter. What if your baby choked and died how would you feel…Take a nap when baby does instead.

2 Likes

Momma do what is right for you as long as you know your baby is well cared for and safe! :kissing_heart: as mothers we can only do our best!

My children are very independent. My 5&11 year old tend to themselves. My 19 month old knows what she can and can’t get into. She is the perfect toddler. I can lay in bed, she will stay in the room with me, watch TV, and be good. Obviously if she needs something I tend to her.

Each child is completely different. I have done this and still do. As long as baby is extra safe.

1 Like

You should be doing what you want to do not anyone else if she is fed and changed you get a rest while you can x

I think it depends on the child. My 8 year old would just chill and wake me up if he needed anything when he was younger. My 4 year old though…I left my room for about 5 mins last night to put laundry away and he got in the bathroom sink and made himself a bubble bath :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

My kid is 3, I’ll put on her show and crash on the couch.She usually comes and sits next to me. We’re human we need sleep

As others have said, it would depend on age. My 5 year old plays really well on her own and knows to come and get us if she needs anything so I do with her x

1 Like

I’m old school. You get up when your children do

3 Likes

Honestly I do and my daughter is 3 almost 4

1 Like

It depends on how old the child is :woman_shrugging:

There’s a lot of questions to ask before a real good answer can be given. Under the right circumstances it would be okay.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with that I did that all the time

How old is the baby? Is it a safe environment?

1 thing I’ve learned in life is that previous generation forgets what it was like when they were going through stages of their lives or think the next generation had it so bad that they need to put pressure on younger people for it. As long as the kids are safe don’t let them shame you.

Depends on the age and how “baby proofed” your house is.

How old? Where is she while you’re sleeping? Where are you?

When I was pregnant with my second my first was a little more than a year old. She could walk. I was doing it alone, my husband at the time was out of town for an extended amount of time during my pregnancy. I had zero shame in shutting my bedroom door, with her and I in the same bedroom, turning on PBS Kids and having her safe snacks and a sippy cup or two, a baby proof door knob bulb thing and getting myself some extra sleep. She would even crawl up in bed with me and take her own naps. I had extreme lethargy in my second pregnancy so sleep was inevitable. Don’t let your family shame you. If they can’t/won’t help you, you do what works for you and yours. This is a small blip in your life. She is now 10 years old and has told me she doesn’t remember any of that time period so I’d say made out just fine :heart:

2 Likes

No not at all… I think most of us moms have done that before. I know I have… I’m a light sleeper anyway so I didn’t worry too much my kids just stay in bed with me watching TV. I only do it some mornings to catch up on sleep for an extra 30 mins to an 1hr. We need the extra 30 mins sometimes! Lol

1 Like

Normal mom move. Most all of us do it. As long as kid is safe then it’s all good. Enjoy your extra 30 min

1 Like

I’ve done it…as long as she is in a safe environment

If it works for you do it especially if the baby is not fusing.

The child can literally get into stuff and get hurt. Or choke on something. Parents need to sleep when children sleep.

Don’t tell your family what you do. It’s your life, not their business.