Am I Taking Breastfeeding Too Seriously?

QUESTION:

"I have three kids, my youngest being 6 weeks old. For my older children, I was never able to breastfeed exclusively and had to supplement with formula. I don’t know if I was lacking support or if I am just more relaxed this time around, but I am exclusively breastfeeding my 6-week-old daughter successfully.

I also have managed to store 250 ounces so far in my freezer. My problem is I am literally not doing anything else. I eat sleep and breathe for my milk supply right now. I have this fear that I won’t have a good enough milk supply and that every little thing will make it drop. I feel like I can’t go anywhere or do anything with my fiancé because I might have to miss a nursing session or pumping session.

I get super annoyed when my fiancé asks to use a bottle from my freezer stash because for whatever reason I feel like I have to save it all. I am only eating foods that I feel will increase my supply and I get really anxious if my baby wants to eat constantly because then I can’t pump to know that I have fully emptied my breast.

When we go grocery shopping, and I nurse her in the carrier, I get anxious because usually she only nurses from one side, and I pump from the other, but then I leave the other full, and I’m afraid that will decrease my supply.

My fiancé already wants me to stop because it’s basically running my life right now. I guess my questions are, does it get less time-consuming? And am I being too dramatic about my milk supply? Is it as delicate as I’m making it out to be? This is my first-time EBF so I don’t want to lose my momentum. Thank you in advance for any advice."

RELATED QUESTION: How can I increase my milk production?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“This doesn’t sound healthy for you mentally. Breastfeeding isn’t that important. Just make sure your baby is fed.”

“My issue with this is that you won’t let your husband use some of the stored milk in a bottle to feed the baby himself. Daddies need that bonding time too… don’t take that away from him.”

“Just know that you shouldn’t keep too much stored away as your milk changes as baby ages so the older milk may not have exactly what the baby needs anymore.”

“A thought: you had the baby six weeks ago. You are dealing with post-birth hormones and trying to fix something that has bothered you with your other children. That’s a lot on your plate! Give yourself some time to relax. If you are feeding your little one when it’s hungry and pumping, you will probably be just fine. Do what you think is correct. Keep feeding and pumping if you want. If you feel like you are stressed about this, maybe relax your standards a bit. Do what seems right to you. Good luck with whatever you choose.”

“Also you are in charge of your breasts. It drives me nuts that women say their husband wants them to stop. It’s natural, it’s natural, it’s good for baby. Stop obsessing, yes, him forcing you to stop entirely. Not his call. Stop when you and baby are ready.”

“I remember feeling this way, that I couldn’t supply enough and I would worry my daughter was starving. I’d recommend reading a book on breastfeeding, eating foods that are known to help supply, and having a consult with a lactation nurse so she can help you through the emotional and physical worries of breastfeeding.”

“You are honestly putting too much stress on yourself and that itself can cause your supply to drop.”

“You will need to start using the frozen supply soon as it doesn’t last forever, and yes it does seem like you are letting feeding run your life, you need to remember your family and partner need you as well.”

“Can I ask why you need to have such a large supply? If you nurse on demand your body will make enough milk for the baby. Try relaxing a bit and reduce a few pumping sessions to get some of your time back for yourself and your partner.”

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

1 Like

You don’t need to be so worried. Feed when baby is hungry and pump when it’s convenient, but even if you weren’t pumping and were only feeding baby you would still have a supply to feed baby (all other factors aside that might lower supply). Don’t let it run your life and end up ruining your relationship or your enjoyment because all you’re doing is nursing or pumping. Remember to live life too.

1 Like

You will need to start using the frozen supply soon as it doesnt last forever, and yes it does seem like you are letting feeding run your life, you need to remember your family and partner need you aswell

1 Like

This doesn’t sound healthy for you mentally. Breastfeeding isn’t that important. Just make sure your baby is fed.

7 Likes

Calm down mama!
Missing one session isn’t gonna hurt anything as long as it’s not regular. And ya figure most babies eat about 24 oz in 24 hours (not on cluster days) so your 250oz will go a lot farther than you think.
Don’t forget about not only your own well-being but your other family members too

1 Like

Yeah you’re being annoying :joy: if your husband wants you stop and you obviously know its running your life enough to admit to it then you need to chill out. Remember, FED IS BEST. there is nothing wrong with using formula

6 Likes

Just know that you shouldn’t keep too much stored away as your milk changes as baby ages so the older milk may not have exactly what the baby needs anymore

4 Likes

You know what is right, in your heart. :heart: don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. You’ve got this mama! :baby:t3:

1 Like

Honestly I was the same way… still am. My baby is 2 and I feel for leaving him what if he needs his milk…

If you get the chance to enjoy your man do so… pump/nurse before you leave and you’ll be fine for a couple hours… I wish I would have listened when people told me this (i lost myself being 1000% dedicated to breastfeeding. I don’t regret feeding him but I regret not giving myself time…

1 Like

My daughters nearly 4 weeks old and i never breast fed and my milk is still there :weary: sounds like your going over board, breast feeding great!! But so is going out with your partner and having a brake, so what if you miss 1 fed, give them some formula for 1 bottle or use the supply in the freezer. Definitely sounds like your obsessing

1 Like

Fed is best, that’s great you wanna breastfeed, but don’t let it take over your life.

A thought: you had the baby six weeks ago. You are dealing with post birth hormones and trying to fix something that has bothered you with your other children. That’s a lot on your plate! Give yourself some time to relax. If you are feeding your little one when it’s hungry and pumping, you will probably be just fine. Do what you think is correct. Keep feeding and pumping if you want. If you feel like you are stressed about this, maybe relax your standards a bit. Do what seems right to you. Good luck with whatever you choose.

4 Likes

I never pumped with my daughter. Just switched sides everytime. She went for 2 years nursing. The baby will be able to demand more milk when she latches on. Let mother nature run her course. Then maybe you can find sometime to enjoy yourself and have less anxiety.

2 Likes

Search out some breastfeeding groups in your area, or even here on Facebook. There is a wealth of knowledge and support for you.

1 Like

Breastfeeding is super good for baby going into cold n flu season. It should also be very easy on you. Yes you will have to stop to bf randomly, but it should make things easier not harder. No need for the constant pump sessions if baby is latching and drinking the you just be the full time source of food. So easy no bottle cleaning, no pump cleaning, nothing but on the go and on demand milk. Make it easier on yourself and family and just go with the flow, literally.

1 Like

Your breast will never be fully drained, even after feeding and pumping. There will always be milk for baby, she may just have to work a bit for it.
You also want to be cautious of getting an oversupply which coms with its own issues, the most common being mastitis.
It is hard those first few weeks and i often found myself stressing about how much i had in the freezer and when was a good time to leave the house. I ended up introducing a bottle as i knew i was going back to work when he was 4.5 months so it would be necessary at that time.
I highly recommend buying haaka. You attach to your opposite breast as baby feeds and it catches your letdown. Once i had one i ended up putting my pump away, i would have enough for 1-2 full feeds (about 300ml) at the end of each day. They are also great kf baby sleeps too long or you feeling engorged. Attach it and it will provide a bit of relief for you.
Your frozen supply is only good for 3 months in a standard freezer and 12 months in a deep freezer. You can still give to bub after but it does lose its nutrients.
Also if you baby is teething or sick your milk will adjust to provide antibodies to baby so while it won’t hurt baby, its good to use the freezer stash.
My partner actually really loved being able to help and feed our son. He would come home from night shift and take baby for a few hours in the morning so i could shower and sleep. He loved the just him baby time and they have an amazing bond even now. Our son is 2 and still loves to sit with his dad on the couch and watch tv or watch him play his video games. If he knows his dad is awake late at night he will always wake up to go and sit with him before falling asleep again.
Is breastfeeding in public something you want to do? There is nothing wrong with going out and stoppping to feed baby somewhere or if you arent comfortable, take some of your frozen milk so baby can have a bottle while out.
Breastfeeding is hard and mentally draining but it doesnt need to run your life. Baby is still new so just keep trying to find a routnine/balance that works for you and your whole family

Also you are in charge of your breasts. It drives me nuts that women say their husband wants them to stop. Its nature, its natural, its good for baby. Stop obsessing, yes, him forcing you to stop entirely. Not his call. Stop when you and baby are ready.

3 Likes

My issue with this is that you won’t let your husband use some of the stored milk in a bottle to feed the baby himself. Daddies need that bonding time too… don’t take that away from him.

7 Likes

I think I had a very similar experience to you.
My baby was premature so I was told to pump in the first few weeks after having her. Shes now 5 1/2 months old and if I skip a pumping session, I get golf ball sized lumps through out my breast. Ive also had mastitis 6 times since my baby was born. I think from missing pumping sessions.
It might be hard but weaning from the pump will give you back some freedom.
I was pumping every 3 hours until my baby was 3 months old. I ended up with a crazy over supply.
I started weaning about 2 months ago . Every 5 days I extend the time until I next pump by 15 minutes.
Now I pump every 5 1/2 hours and im still making an extra 40 oz onto of what my baby needs.
For your own mental health, cut back abit and take a break.

Relax! It’s rare to not produce and even more rare to just stop. Your body will keep up with the baby! I breastfed my first for 18 months and stressed the entire time! I’m going on almost 2 years with number 2 and I just decided not to stress this time and we have been going strong. I am freaking out about getting it to stop though! :scream:

You are honestly putting too much stress on yourself and that itself can cause your supply to drop.

1 Like

Eh… I went through something similar with my 3rd baby bc the first 2 I wasn’t very successful in my breastfeeding goals. After going through that+ your mommy survival instincts+ post partum- it’s understandable. If I hadnt been through something similar if prolly agree it’s too much. But it’s really not that uncommon.
Find breastfeeding groups with other mommas and you’ll see your definitely not alone.
Learn to find some peace at least once week- in some way your able to relax. Maybe schedule one time dad can feed baby- pump hand express to ease your mind on your supply, and during this time try to relax in a hot bath or meditate.
My son began to like the bottle more though and we fed like your suppose to. Used all the right nipples and products … So that choice is up to you.
I think the biggest thing here is finding ways to relax in those times your anxious abt feedings and your supply while your out n abt…i felt that hardcore! I got a haakaa and built a cozy place pack to take places for public breastfeeding. I didn’t cover him, but I brought pillows the boppy blankets comfort. If a place was too busy it was a bit difficult for him, is just go to my car 🤷
Good luck on your journey, it’s called that for a reason.

Don’t let it take over your life! The more you stress the less you produce. Do what you can. Not everyone is blessed with cow teets lol don’t obsess over it. Just do your best. Don’t let something silly control your life

It is super time consuming! Especially at first :heart: Keep pushing through. It will get easier to manage. Your body will regulate and you won’t worry about it too much. Just remember the more she is on and nursing, the more supply you will have. It’s all about supply and demand.

A support group that really helped me with EVERYTHING and kept me going was Dairy Queens Breastfeeding Support Closed Group

I was the same way. I didn’t want to use a bottle at all. About 2-3 weeks in i was so sore I got to the point I couldn’t bare to let her latch. I let my husband feed her a bottle of breast milk and realized it was ok, missing one feed didn’t hurt her or me or my supply. And he got to feed his baby and bond with her. Same thing happened at about 6 weeks with my mom. I was desperate for more then 2 hours of sleep. My mom stayed over and I slept for 6 hours straight, woke up to super full breasts and fed her and everything was ok!

For any mom breatmilk u pump is GOLD! My second baby wont take a bottle, so i had to toss all my milk i stored up( got too old) snd I am home because of covid anyways! Just relax, enjoy ur babies and husband and if u do loss ur momentum down the road you can handle that if it ever comes!

You don’t sound crazy, you’re not annoying, and please don’t think you’re crazy. To me you sound like you love the fact that you can give your baby something that comes from you naturally and you’re just worried that you might not be able to one day and honestly THAT is okay. What is not okay is letting that worry get to you in a way that is affecting your life your marriage and your own personal health. Take a step back and realize you are doing a great job at feeding your baby and you can still do that by leaving the house just pump a little before make sure you feed when your baby wants it. And remember that you are a human being too and even though we care for our babies we need to care for ourselves too. Your baby needs you to be you to take care of them.
Hope that makes sense. Best of luck to you!

1 Like

Breast feeding is a challenge definitely need support you have made a choice to supply food for your babies needs instead of formula which is much healthier for the baby and you
Find a rhythm and schedule when you know the baby is going to be hungry or you will need to pump
Even on road trips
The more you stress about it your going to reconsider this enormous gift you can give your child and you
In regards to using the stored breast milk in situations its may just be easier to pump both sides and let baby have breast milk in a bottle when you need to be away
Good luck best of luck to you and your bundle of joy

You sound obsessed. Please seek help with a therapist to see why and to help you normalize your life so you can enjoy it with your family. Not only will it help you now, but you may be able to recognize triggers to avoid any future obsessive behavior. Stop missing out on life and good luck in your journey to health.:heartpulse:

My baby’s 6 months. I pumped once to try and get a night sleep and let my partner feed her, she screamed until she was sick. Since it has just been boob boob boob, she tends to empty both boobs for 1 meal then they regenerate milk and she does the same again a few hours later. Get rid of the pump, your baby only on the boob is best, your breasts will make supply to her demands, they will tell what she’s lacking in and what she needs and how much and make it ready for her next feed. If your baby wants to constantly feed that means you’re baby is hungry, surely meeting her demands is more important than freezing milk you are reluctant to use (pretty sure it has to be used within 6 weeks or it goes bad)… put baby first, they are working properly this time no need to go crazy x

Sounds like you have anxiety over it .

You will need to start using the frozen supply soon as it doesnt last forever, and yes it does seem like you are letting feeding run your life, you need to remember your family and partner need you aswell

2 Likes

Calm down mama!
Missing one session isn’t gonna hurt anything as long as it’s not regular. And ya figure most babies eat about 24 oz in 24 hours (not on cluster days) so your 250oz will go a lot farther than you think.
Don’t forget about not only your own well-being but your other family members too

Yeah you’re being annoying :joy: if your husband wants you stop and you obviously know its running your life enough to admit to it then you need to chill out. Remember, FED IS BEST. there is nothing wrong with using formula

11 Likes

Just know that you shouldn’t keep too much stored away as your milk changes as baby ages so the older milk may not have exactly what the baby needs anymore

5 Likes

You know what is right, in your heart. :heart: don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. You’ve got this mama! :baby:t3:

1 Like

My daughters nearly 4 weeks old and i never breast fed and my milk is still there :weary: sounds like your going over board, breast feeding great!! But so is going out with your partner and having a brake, so what if you miss 1 fed, give them some formula for 1 bottle or use the supply in the freezer. Definitely sounds like your obsessing

Fed is best, that’s great you wanna breastfeed, but don’t let it take over your life.

A thought: you had the baby six weeks ago. You are dealing with post birth hormones and trying to fix something that has bothered you with your other children. That’s a lot on your plate! Give yourself some time to relax. If you are feeding your little one when it’s hungry and pumping, you will probably be just fine. Do what you think is correct. Keep feeding and pumping if you want. If you feel like you are stressed about this, maybe relax your standards a bit. Do what seems right to you. Good luck with whatever you choose.

4 Likes

Search out some breastfeeding groups in your area, or even here on Facebook. There is a wealth of knowledge and support for you.

1 Like

Breastfeeding is super good for baby going into cold n flu season. It should also be very easy on you. Yes you will have to stop to bf randomly, but it should make things easier not harder. No need for the constant pump sessions if baby is latching and drinking the you just be the full time source of food. So easy no bottle cleaning, no pump cleaning, nothing but on the go and on demand milk. Make it easier on yourself and family and just go with the flow, literally.

1 Like

Your breast will never be fully drained, even after feeding and pumping. There will always be milk for baby, she may just have to work a bit for it.
You also want to be cautious of getting an oversupply which coms with its own issues, the most common being mastitis.
It is hard those first few weeks and i often found myself stressing about how much i had in the freezer and when was a good time to leave the house. I ended up introducing a bottle as i knew i was going back to work when he was 4.5 months so it would be necessary at that time.
I highly recommend buying haaka. You attach to your opposite breast as baby feeds and it catches your letdown. Once i had one i ended up putting my pump away, i would have enough for 1-2 full feeds (about 300ml) at the end of each day. They are also great kf baby sleeps too long or you feeling engorged. Attach it and it will provide a bit of relief for you.
Your frozen supply is only good for 3 months in a standard freezer and 12 months in a deep freezer. You can still give to bub after but it does lose its nutrients.
Also if you baby is teething or sick your milk will adjust to provide antibodies to baby so while it won’t hurt baby, its good to use the freezer stash.
My partner actually really loved being able to help and feed our son. He would come home from night shift and take baby for a few hours in the morning so i could shower and sleep. He loved the just him baby time and they have an amazing bond even now. Our son is 2 and still loves to sit with his dad on the couch and watch tv or watch him play his video games. If he knows his dad is awake late at night he will always wake up to go and sit with him before falling asleep again.
Is breastfeeding in public something you want to do? There is nothing wrong with going out and stoppping to feed baby somewhere or if you arent comfortable, take some of your frozen milk so baby can have a bottle while out.
Breastfeeding is hard and mentally draining but it doesnt need to run your life. Baby is still new so just keep trying to find a routnine/balance that works for you and your whole family

2 Likes

Also you are in charge of your breasts. It drives me nuts that women say their husband wants them to stop. Its nature, its natural, its good for baby. Stop obsessing, yes, him forcing you to stop entirely. Not his call. Stop when you and baby are ready.

3 Likes

Relax! It’s rare to not produce and even more rare to just stop. Your body will keep up with the baby! I breastfed my first for 18 months and stressed the entire time! I’m going on almost 2 years with number 2 and I just decided not to stress this time and we have been going strong. I am freaking out about getting it to stop though! :scream:

You are honestly putting too much stress on yourself and that itself can cause your supply to drop.

2 Likes

Eh… I went through something similar with my 3rd baby bc the first 2 I wasn’t very successful in my breastfeeding goals. After going through that+ your mommy survival instincts+ post partum- it’s understandable. If I hadnt been through something similar if prolly agree it’s too much. But it’s really not that uncommon.
Find breastfeeding groups with other mommas and you’ll see your definitely not alone.
Learn to find some peace at least once week- in some way your able to relax. Maybe schedule one time dad can feed baby- pump hand express to ease your mind on your supply, and during this time try to relax in a hot bath or meditate.
My son began to like the bottle more though and we fed like your suppose to. Used all the right nipples and products … So that choice is up to you.
I think the biggest thing here is finding ways to relax in those times your anxious abt feedings and your supply while your out n abt…i felt that hardcore! I got a haakaa and built a cozy place pack to take places for public breastfeeding. I didn’t cover him, but I brought pillows the boppy blankets comfort. If a place was too busy it was a bit difficult for him, is just go to my car 🤷
Good luck on your journey, it’s called that for a reason.

Don’t let it take over your life! The more you stress the less you produce. Do what you can. Not everyone is blessed with cow teets lol don’t obsess over it. Just do your best. Don’t let something silly control your life

It is super time consuming! Especially at first :heart: Keep pushing through. It will get easier to manage. Your body will regulate and you won’t worry about it too much. Just remember the more she is on and nursing, the more supply you will have. It’s all about supply and demand.

A support group that really helped me with EVERYTHING and kept me going was Dairy Queens Breastfeeding Support Closed Group

I was the same way. I didn’t want to use a bottle at all. About 2-3 weeks in i was so sore I got to the point I couldn’t bare to let her latch. I let my husband feed her a bottle of breast milk and realized it was ok, missing one feed didn’t hurt her or me or my supply. And he got to feed his baby and bond with her. Same thing happened at about 6 weeks with my mom. I was desperate for more then 2 hours of sleep. My mom stayed over and I slept for 6 hours straight, woke up to super full breasts and fed her and everything was ok!

Breast feeding is a challenge definitely need support you have made a choice to supply food for your babies needs instead of formula which is much healthier for the baby and you
Find a rhythm and schedule when you know the baby is going to be hungry or you will need to pump
Even on road trips
The more you stress about it your going to reconsider this enormous gift you can give your child and you
In regards to using the stored breast milk in situations its may just be easier to pump both sides and let baby have breast milk in a bottle when you need to be away
Good luck best of luck to you and your bundle of joy

My baby’s 6 months. I pumped once to try and get a night sleep and let my partner feed her, she screamed until she was sick. Since it has just been boob boob boob, she tends to empty both boobs for 1 meal then they regenerate milk and she does the same again a few hours later. Get rid of the pump, your baby only on the boob is best, your breasts will make supply to her demands, they will tell what she’s lacking in and what she needs and how much and make it ready for her next feed. If your baby wants to constantly feed that means you’re baby is hungry, surely meeting her demands is more important than freezing milk you are reluctant to use (pretty sure it has to be used within 6 weeks or it goes bad)… put baby first, they are working properly this time no need to go crazy x

Sounds like you have anxiety over it .

Use the stored milk for daddy.

After 12 weeks it regulates. It becomes way less time consuming. This is my schedule: feed baby at 6 am. Eat breakfast. Pump left side around 7am (baby only eats on right side) Have a snack around 10am with a bottle of water.
Eat lunch at 12-12:30. Pump left side
Snack around 2:30 with water bottle
Eat dinner around 5:30 Pump left side.
Have a sweet (oatmeal cookies are great for supply) and pump before bed. 8pm.
Pump at 1am with water bottle
Pump at 5am before babe wakes up.

Outside of that i feed on demand. And the reason i pump so much is because i donate to other moms in my area.

Hey I’ve been there, I would pump until my nipples felt raw. Just say FUCK IT, if the milk decreases than she will still have enough to satisfy her. Honestly it’s not even that serious.

Can I ask why you need to have such a large supply? If you nurse on demand your body will make enough milk for baby. Try relaxing a bit and reduce a few pumping sessions to get some of your time back for yourself and your partner.

1 Like

And yes it will get easier but if you are pumping and feeding yes it gets very tiring and unless you have a deep freezer you’re going to run out of space really quick. If you are only doing it to make sure that your supply stays it’s very understandable you pump one side while you feed they do have portable pumps I was just always too big it didn’t work for me.also since you have the large supply you can let him feed the baby while you pump a little but yes if you’re not worried about your supply then only feed when he’s hungry or she and don’t worry you’ll produce it if you are only pumping because of the supply though then I understand and you might just have to stick it out

Okay I’m not sure exactly what kind of advice you’re looking for personally breastfed all my kids now I did not have any lactation problems so I was lucky but I was only able to pump for so long before pumping just didn’t work I could still feed but pumping would not work I have always been able to just feed whenever I need to at that age it’s really easy to feed while you are doing anything they’re little enough and since you can wrap the babies around you too that makes it easier as well if you’re trying to have one on one time with the baby while you’re feeding then that’s probably why your husband’s getting jealous unless you are wearing yourself too thin you might just want to try and breastfeed instead of pumping too it feels best for you this is just only what I’ve gone through

Unless you have plans to go away (ie, to work every day and need to leave bottles behind, or to leave baby with a relative for a few days) you do not need to focus so much on back storage- that is in an enormous stresser! Your breasts will regulate production according to what the baby is hungry for. Drink plenty of water and take turns nursing from each side. Ie, if you start on left and baby’s still hungry, switch to right. (Usually baby is not hungry enough to empty both, but it’s okay if it happens!!) Then next feed start on the right which is assumedly fuller and switch to finish if necessary.

If you have the luxury to be home with baby full time, SKIP the backstock. Pumping is far more stressful than simply drinking water and lifting your shirt when baby’s hungry.

1 Like

Stop pumping! Just nurse your baby frequently and drink plenty of water and eat nutritious foods. No need to do more than that. pumping is stressful and totally not necessary unless you have to go back to work and it sounds like you already have a good supply for that. One of the wonderful advantages of breastfeeding is how it is so easy–just lift your shirt and put baby on–no bottles, no formula mixing, no pumping. And no dad does not need to feed the baby to bond–he can change diapers and bring her to you to nurse, he can hold and rock her and baby wear her in between nursing sessions. Also at only 6 weeks you shouldn’t even be thinking about missing out on things or going out anywhere. Just relax and enjoy your baby and this short time when they are small. In a just few months they will be able to go longer between nursing, by 6-8 months they will be eating some solid foods so they can have that while you are gone so no need for bottles. By a year old they can even go overnight if you want to get away. It takes at least a full year for a mom’s body to heal and for a baby to start be developmentally able to be without mom for a few hours–it is sad that our society expects babies and moms to be ok with being apart when we have literally evolved to always be together.

I remember feeling this way, that I couldn’t supply enough and I would worry my daughter was starving. I’d recommend reading a book on breastfeeding, eating foods that are known to help supply, and having a consult with a lactation nurse so she can help you through the emotional and physical worries of breastfeeding.

1 Like

I completely understand where the poster is coming from. I just had my third baby and my supply is just average. However, it is only later at night and the first two morning feeds that my supply is fairly good. I am linking this to the fact that these are the times when i feed consistently and calmly. The rest of my dat is crazy so I don’t feed on schedule which impacts my supply!

I have nursed 8 babies in some way… Some for a year, some for a few weeks or months, and everything in between. You couldn’t tell which kids were which now. A happy mama is JUST as important. Do what you need to do to reduce stress and get some of your life back.

1 Like

That’s 62 bottles at 4 ounces each (assuming she takes4 ounces each feeding). If she’s isn’t going to daycare, I’d think that that is a good supply to keep stashed with minimal worries.

If you continue to breastfeed on the breast each feeding and use only the stash for situations where you’re away a few hours, you’re well stocked.

But she’s only 6 weeks old, so it never hurts to have more. Just rotate the oldest with newest. Maybe donate the older milk when the time comes? I don’t know if that’s a thing?

1 Like

Its very time consuming in the beginning but your causing a oversupply by pumping and breastfeeding. Just let babe nurse and stop pumping. U don’t need a supply that big at all💙

2 Likes

First thing you need to know is that pumping does NOT empty your breasts effectively, only baby can do that. Your phobias and worries are valid bc you’re getting this great experience with baby and are afraid of losing it. As my lactation consultant told me, try to not worry so much about not eating enough, baby will get what it needs from you first. Just stay hydrated, stay away from fenugreek and offer baby the breast as much as it wants. You’re doing fine mama just breathe and take it a day at a time. Also realize breastfeeding laws are in place that allow you to nurse anywhere in public if you’re okay with that and many major stores and places do have special nursing rooms there for mama. Here I know our zoo and aquarium does, Walmart, target, and some of the malls have really nice “nursing pods” too

Your milk supply regulates by 3 months and then it won’t be so delicate. If you want to stay as hard-core as you are right now, keep it up. If you want to calm it down a little, feed your baby from both breasts and use a haaka to collect the rest, then your boobs will only make what baby needs. If you do keep up the eating of milky foods though, please make sure your body is getting all of the necessary nutrients and not just what produces milk. Having a newborn is stressful and you don’t want to deny your body what it needs. Also, your stash is perfect :ok_hand: keep it around that and just replace what you use, rotating using the oldest first :heart:

I exclusively breastfed my baby with a 9 to 6 job
I had my freezers full with the saved expressed milk
But in all that, keeping a balance was necessary
I ate well everything be it sour spicy and whatnot
I had been on road trips during all that time
Office , family functions and all

But remember you don’t need a supply that big it’s gonna be fine if baby takes solids and few sessions of your milk and expressed milk

Take it easy

I breastfed 2 children. I never managed to pump much as it took too much time. In the early weeks I was feeding the baby every 2 to 3 hours so the time in between I decided not to “waste” pumping. I did have a manual pump though, probably that made it more time consuming.

Your supply regulates around 6 weeks to babies needs but it’s not recommended to pump before 6 weeks as you’ll send yourself into over supply which is not good either just eat regularly and drink plenty water and feed on demand and your supply will adjust x

In the beginning I went through a similar kind of phase. Although mine wasn’t as intense. It shouldn’t cause anxiety if baby wants to eat more because clusterfeeding is going to happen ALOT. But I didn’t want my stash to be depleted or my supply to drop. I was producing alot. But after a short time, I had to go back to work at 7 weeks PP, I had other things to focus on. Baby was at daycare on-site so I still breastfed on demand and at home I would pump after feedings. Having a full breast for a short time will not affect your supply. If your breasts are becoming more full frequently, like after every feeding, then your body would think it needs to adjust but not just from one incident here or there. I feel like you have a bit more anxiety than I would expect after birth. Try not to hyperfocus on it. You’re doing it mama! You’re rocking it! And if after a few days you find you still can’t settle your thoughts, it may be worth speaking to a doctor about how you’re feeling. Good luck!

1 Like

I can’t pump, my husband never got the bond with our baby with a bottle and now he won’t take a bottle. Let him use your stash, take a night out and go for dinner, we didn’t get a date night for almost 7 months. When he feeds the baby you pump, as long as your breast are being stimulated you won’t loose your supply.

Pumping and breastfeeding is ALOT of work! I did it with my 3rd as he was in NICU for 9 days. My 4th, i breastfed in a month before she turned 2. I tried to pump in beginning and I had no energy. I used soy formula to supplement when she when to care and I worked at 7-8 months. When breaked at wk I would go to sitters and feed her. If you breastfeed and pump when you should be feeding but can’t the baby will be fine. My daughter ate out of my RT side from 6 months until 2 pretty much. It was annoying to me but I continued to produce milk working 2 jobs with her in care and then daycare. Your wanting to stock up so Continue doing what your doing, until they are 6-7 months. It’s very time consuming. Mothers Milk tea was a life saver to help me produce milk. I was producing 4 ozs every pump at 3 days old. The tea helps your flow so much. Good luck to you​:pray:t4::black_heart::heart::brown_heart:

The first couple of months are hard because finding a schedule that accommodates you and your family is so hard. My best advice is to keep working on a schedule that works for you and baby, don’t focus so much on stash, pump when you need to. Let dad feed with a bottle every now and then, he needs to bond also and you need breaks or you will wear yourself out. The over-stressing about the details will effect you, your baby, and your production. Do what feels right for you, just don’t lose yourself in it. A date with your spouse, taking an hr or two to pamper yourself or take a nap is just a necessary for you and your goal to breast feed, because taking care of you is what is going to keep the momentum up to take care of the little one :blush: happy journey to you Momma

Be careful, I was the same way with pumping on top of breastfeeding. I ended up getting mastitis from oversupply. I now only pump the other breast during night feedings in case she sleeps a long time. I stopped pumping during the day and let my breasts regulate and I produce plenty of milk for my babe as she is peeing/pooping regularly and gaining weight. We are going on 4 months now of breastfeeding. Just try and relax and trust your body.

Just breath and keep a semi schedule like if you miss one one day it shouldn’t affect it i would just continue with those pumping and feeding and when baby’s get older there feeding schedule Changes my daughter some days will eat a million times and then some days not so much …just stay hydrated

I would cut back on the pumping.having a stash in the freezer is handy incase you get sick or for when you go back to work. But it’s doesn’t need to be massive. A lot of people end up throwing it out or using for a milk bath as they just don’t end up needing it. I could never get more then a few ml from pumping so had zero stash which ended up being totally fine for my situation.
Breastfeeding should be a lovely relaxing bonding time between you and bub,try not to stress yourself out with the extra pumping :heart:

1 Like

Hello mama!
I remember feeling the way you did when I was breast feeding my baby at that age. I was so anxious and I felt like it controlled my whole life. First of all, great job… Breast feeding isn’t easy and you’ve already been at it for 6 weeks! However, I do think you deserve a break and to live your life the way you want. Spend time with your fiance. Your milk supply will begin to regulate after 6 weeks and you’ll feel less engorged and that’s normal. It doesn’t mean your supply is decreasing. Breast feeding is all about supply and demand. So you normally wouldn’t just suddenly lose your milk supply over night. It really does get easier the older baby gets. For example, now that my daughter is 11 months old she only nurses 4-5 times in 24 hours. I’m all for breast feeding, but I also advocate for fed is best, whether that be breast milk or formula! Mom’s mental health and happiness is also important. What baby needs the most is a happy and healthy mama!

To nicely put it, you are being too dramatic. Do you have to go back to work? If not stop pumping, pumping before 6 weeks can cause a painful oversupply and that’s what sounds like is already happening with that much milk in the freezer. Baby that little will more than likely cluster feed. Just feed baby on demand when he/she wants it. No food will help your supply. If you take supplements that can actually hurt your supply. Just relax and enjoy it! The cleavage club breastfeeding support group can you give some awesome advice also!

Girl I had the same kind of problem with my daughter. I was so worried about my family breastfeeding history and was too scared to take any advice but the best advice I can give you is to always alternate every other feeding with the oposite breast. Look up a recipe for breast feeding cookies. My friend tried it and she produced tripple then what she was without them .

You do what feels right to you. I thought i had a good supply up with my 2nd time around and ended up having to use formula 6 months in because i used it all up. And if you end up with too much extra is stays good a year frozen and it can always be donated to those unable to produce but want the benefits of breastmilk.

Use that milk in your freezer for a bottle once in awhile. Enjoy life. The stress is going to decrease your milk supply.

I think you might need to talk to your dr, sounds like you might have ppd and it comes in so many different forms. I have ppblues and I literally stress and get upset over the smallest things and I’m anxious over the most ridiculous things. So if you keep feeling this way don’t be afraid to ask for help.

3 Likes

Make sure you switch boobs with feeding so if you start a feed on the right end it on the left. Then pump amd go about your day till the next feed and repeat.

I thought I would feel more like the original poster bc I wasn’t able to breastfeed my first two at all this time I’m a month into supplementing but my thoughts at first were at least I’m giving her some breast milk.
Now I wish my milk would dry up. I’m so tired of my boobs cramping, leaking, being different sizes, and having a baby attached to them. I’m grateful that I’m able to give her something I couldn’t give my two older daughters but it’s hard and I hate it. So I’m the total opposite and I just nurse my baby when my breast start to feel like they got something in them and only pump if I get engorged.

1 Like

Your body adjusts to what baby needs. If you don’t need to pump and are able to feed at every feeding session you don’t need to pump because it will tell your body to produce more milk every time instead of only making what she needs. Even if you are full you should only pump to relieve the fullness or have baby feed on that side. Having 250 ounces frozen is amazing and there’s no reason why Dad can’t enjoy the feeding process as well. I would read some of Jack Newman’s articles on breastfeeding. He is the guru. All this is normal for a a first time EBF mom/baby. You are baby going a little overboard but I remember the same sort of feelings and attitudes towards feeding my daughter when she was born too. All of a sudden your world revolves around baby/feeding and making sure there is always enough and that they never miss a feeding always fed right at the 2-3 hour mark. Its overwhelming to say the least. But you’re doing a great job and things will get easier. Feeding wont be the thing that everything revolves around. Breastfeeding definitely gets easier the longer you do it and less complicated. I stopped pumping around 6 weeks and just pumped to relieve pressure and let my body only make the amount she needed

In the beginning it is time consuming. Baby and you are still learning how to master the art of breastfeeding. After month 3 you should feel way more relaxed about it. If not, I suggest you reduce how much you are pumping in addition to ebf. You can relax a bit on trying to manage how much you are producing, as long as baby if fed and happy, you are doing the right thing. Are you planning on going back to work? Is that why you are worried about a freezer stash? Its good to have a freezer stash for emergencies. Feel free to ask questions. I ebf all of my kids. This one is baby #5.

Had 5 kids, breastfed them all, the biggest mistake I made was with my 1st…exclusively breastfed so I could not leave her with anyone, she weaned herself at 12 months and I made sure my next 4 took a bottle also, breast milk, even frozen, can go bad, no need to hoard that much…your body will produce what you need, I had so much milk I could of fed every baby on a city block lol good luck

I was like this with both of my kids, they say breastfeeding is equivalent hours to if not more hours than a full time job!

I also couldn’t breastfeed my first two children, I made it a couple weeks with each then formula fed. I exclusively breastfed my youngest until 18 months and had no supply problems at all like I did with my first two. So I would say bluntly, yes youre being a bit hypersensitive when it comes to your milk supply. Stressing yourself out can decrease your supply more than anything else. Theres no point in nursing if you and baby are not both enjoying the bonding experience and both happy and satisfied. I mean honestly, the worst that can happen is your supply does drop then you use formula, its no big deal, your baby will still be fed happy and healthy. Best case scenario is calming down about it actually helps increase your supply and youre able to have a long successful nursing journey with your babe. There’s no right or wrong way, but you should really try to relax a bit more and just enjoy the time in the moment. Pump when you can, store what you can. You will be so much more at ease if you just take it as it comes and dont allow yourself to become erratic over the situation, it will be okay no matter what!

1 Like

I’m at a year exclusively breastfeeding and I can say that I was 100% like that, get a haaka and just nurse on demand that way you don’t have an oversupply and you can still stock your freezer. But if you’re exclusively breastfeeding you really don’t need a freezer stash unless you think you’re going to be away from your baby. I threw away so much milk because it went bad and I pumped all the time for no reason and wasted precious bonding time with my son. It’s hard not to get obsessed with breastfeeding because it’s all you do all day and you can’t physically see that your baby is getting enough so it’s hard not to worry sometimes, but As long as she’s satisfied after a feed then I wouldn’t worry about it. Also it is normal for your supply to regulate around 12 weeks so your breast won’t feel as full but that doesn’t mean your baby isn’t getting enough. When your milk first comes in you have an oversupply and then it regulates itself! You got this mama!!

I met the great spell caster online and he told me all I need to do, Now am glad that Dr Odumeje brought him back and he loves me more then he used to! You can also contact him on his email address via [email protected]]m or via WhatsApp number on +2349012479806 …