Am I being sensitive about my mom not taking my son more often?

I wonder if I’m just being sensitive or this is just more common now ? I run a daycare and there’s a lot of times where different kids get picked up by grandparents and go for nights over and stuff like that. I see grandparents out places with their grandkids. My mom is good and she loves my 3 yr old and he loves her but she’s never asked to do anything with him before. She took him overnight one time a couple years ago because we moved into our house and needed a night to set up our sons room. Other than that she sees him when we visit her or she comes over for a visit. My dad and I don’t have a good relationship so he’s seen him two times ever(which I tell him he’s welcome to see him whenever). I get jealous of people that have all this support and help and I just can’t relate. Last week was the first time in a year and a half I went out without my son which was me going out to lunch with my new mom friend and my hubby was home with him.

7 Likes

Don’t compare yourself with others. It’s a game of lose-lose. Besides, you don’t know what else they are dealing with. Make local friends online if it’s hard to get out, then trade babysitting favors. Can you get to know your neighbors? It’s not just your family or other people with kids who will be willing to be helpful. Look at retired folks, lonely singles. Do your due diligence and background check them though.

Have you talked to your mom about it?

1 Like

Just know you didn’t keep your child from them. You kept the door open. In the end they are missing out. I don’t think you should need to bring it up to the grandparents, they already know it’s just the choice they make. Kids don’t stay little forever, so many memories are being missed out on. Just know it’s not your fault. You just get more special time together.
But I also know grandparents that favor one kid over the other, which is sad. It’s a tough battle just keep doing you.

My mom use to prefer to come stay at my house. When my kids were little she would come spend the weekend. The kids were more comfortable at home and my mom would come over. We asked her though if we wanted a weekend away and let her pick when. She was still working full time then so it was a lot for her. As a grandma myself now I would love my grandson overnight but it honestly would wear me out - the older two are step grandkids and they have stayed before baby was born and when baby was born. I don’t ask though my son asks me. I will occassionally ask to go see the kids and say is there a good day and time I can come visit

Ordepends how old your mum is too it is harder the older you get looking after grandkids no matter how much you love them they can wear you out l.o.l .

1 Like

I would mention that you would love it if she wanted to, but unfortunately you can’t make someone want to spend time with their grandchildren. None of our family has ever watched our kids overnight except once when I had neurosurgery and my husband had just started a new job and couldn’t take time off. And the last time anyone watched them so we could go out to eat alone was five years ago (we haven’t been able to find a babysitter). We’ve asked, they don’t want to. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I get it but you can’t expect your mom to read your mind. Every family dynamic is different and maybe it’s just not something she thinks about because it’s not the way she has experienced things.
Maybe ask your mom. Just ask without expectation and accept her response.

My parents take my nieces and nephews all the time, they took my two boys once over night, that was YEARS ago, they’re 14&13 now. Some grandparents think that they did their part by raising you, now it’s your turn to raise your own. Some grandparents can’t get enough of their grandkids and take them every chance they can. And sometimes grandparents play favourites with other kids/grandkids. I learned to just deal with it.
Talk to your mom and see about if she wants to start taking your son once a month for a weekend so you can hubby can have time for your relationship.

Ugh! I wish I can be with my granddaughter 24/7.
Maybe have a talk with your mom.

No you’re not being sensitive but you need to communicate this with your mom or how is she suppose to know?

She visits and y’all visit…she’s not obligated to watch your child. Would it be nice? Of course. But she is by no means obligated and it’s not “unfair” of her not to watch your child. Just because the grandparents don’t watch them overnight does not mean they don’t love the kids… some of y’all are ridiculous. I never had a “village” to watch my kids all the time. Yes family will take them here and there but not nearly as much as I see other parents get… but they are MY kids. They are my responsibility in the end.

She might be waiting on you to make the invitations? I rarely ask to see people, children especially, because life is busy and so is everyone else’s. My family is the same. But if I call my sister or my dad or my grandmother and say “hey, wanna do xxx sometime? When is good for you?” Almost always they’ll agree and set up a date with me. Just reach out and tell her that you and baby miss her and want to do more together. Maybe see if she’s interested in doing a monthly sleepover, same day/ weekend every month. It’s easy to plan around day dates and times and may be more convenient for all parties involved.