Am I a bad parent for leaving my kids once a week?

My aunt is in town for Easter and she’s driving me nuts! Ever since she got here all I have heard is how bad of a parent I am for leaving my daughter with my parents once a week so I can get things done like pay bills, tidy the house, etc. It is literally 1 day a week. How am I being a bad parent? It’s not like I’m leaving her with a stranger, they’re her grandparents. I feel like maybe she is just trying to start drama but at the same time I hear this thing in the back of my head saying not to leave her with my parents anymore. What if they’re the ones who even mentioned it to my aunt? I’m at a loss. Either way I lose.

19 Likes

I think it’s great! Everyone wins. You get a little time to your self which we all need. Your daughter and her grandparents are building a relationship! No problem here.

It’s grandparents time to spend with your grandkids. I love grandma time! And so do my grandkids!

Sounds to me like you’re trying to prioritize yourself as a responsible parent. Giving your child important time with grandparents, and giving yourself some time to focus on things that need to get done for the home & yourself. Good job!

3 Likes

Sounds like your aunt needs to mind her own business :ok_hand:

21 Likes

I disappear 1 day a week for the night it helps me mentally relax to start over

Definitely not. We deserve a day to ourselves to handle business or do whatever we feel like. Maybe she didn’t have that luxury when she was a young mom but it’s a blessing to have.

3 Likes

Grandparents are glad you leave them it’s always a ball with mine keep up the good work

1 Like

i would think that leaving your child with their grandparents would help create a living bond between them and give you some personal time to take care of yourself and your household, not to mention help keep your own mental health on track!

i have my grand daughter at least once a week so her momma can do exactly that! i love every second i get with my grandkids!

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with it I would love to have my parents closer so they can spend more time with baby girl

It’s between you and your parents. How do your parents feel. Do they want to have time with the grandchild every week. Most grandparents like having the kiddos once a week or for one weekend a month.

2 Likes

Not even a little bit. My husband and I take our toddler to his parents’ house sometimes when we need to get stuff done, including building furniture lol. We also do overnights with my best friend once a month, just to have a break and catch up on sleep. Those times away help us keep our sanity and make us better parents, and she always has fun with the trusted adults she’s with.

3 Likes

She sounds jealous honestly. I treasured the help when I had it. I have no one now who can help, enjoy it and ignore her. I hope those babies enjoy grandma and grandpa time too.

1 Like

I’d find it weird in general because grandparents typically WANT to take their grandbabies. Most of them anyway. So I’d ask my parents myself if they don’t want her and then taking her once a week is something they really don’t want to do. And if it’s not, as weird AF as it is, I’d find other arrangements :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Kids need time with their grandparents so your good.

3 Likes

This is healthy for you and your kid

Well then I’m a really bad parent cuz when my kids were little they spent one weekend w/ my parents and the following weekend with my in laws (by the grandparents request) that gave us a lil break to get stuff done.

1 Like

I think she jealous your not doing anything wrong it should make your parents fell wanted and trusted I hear the same stuff from my sister when I leave kids with my mom for a bit but I have come to ignore it. It your life your decisions tell her to but out.

1 Like

Maybe auntie needs a spa day. Sounds like she is mad she didn’t have that option with her kids & resents it. See if having “me time” for renewal now can make up for some of that. Also, loved having my grandkids two days a week this past summer.

1 Like

Not at all but I’d also be calling her out on sharing unsolicited “Parenting tips.” She doesn’t get to tell you how you parent. Tell her to mind her own business or she doesn’t need to be around.

1 Like

What’s it got to do with her my mum and dad often used to have my boys .nothing wrong with you leaving them with your mum and your aunt wants to keep out of it .your a good mum .nans grandad are very important to your grandkids .

1 Like

If your parents see it as a burden, maybe cut down on the amount of time. If your parents see it as time with the grandkids, keep on doing what you’re doing. It definitely doesn’t make you a bad parent either way. You’re doing responsible adult things, it’s not like you’re going out for days at a time.

1 Like

No. Be grateful you even have that option. You got this momma

2 Likes

No! Even If you spend that time for yourself, doing things like shoppend, have a lunch, take a Spa day, Lay on your couch Reading. You are a Great mom then.

1 Like

Take no notice of her it’s none of her business

1 Like

It’s once a week she needs time with her grandparents

If it bothered them they would say something to you

1 Like

some of us dnt have that option so please tell your aunt to mind her business. it only becomes a problem when your parents say something about taking her. gosh some people just need to keep their opinions to their self.

3 Likes

Probably jealous cause no one watched hers . You are doing fine

10 Likes

As the grand parents!? I mean I would tell ur aunt to mind her own grands and leave u n ur babies alone. Grand parents deserve to make memories with them

1 Like

Your aunt is just bitter. If you where leaving them everyweekend and all weekend long so you could go party would be one thing.

1 Like

Not at all !!! Parents needs some alone time to run errands , clean , relax or just to hang out, nothing wrong with that .

You can talk to your parents and ask if they still ok with that, if they are just ignore your aunt

Talk to your parents about it.

As a grand and great grandparents I would guess that your parents love the time with your daughter! Keep taking her.

She is starting drama. It’s good for kids to visit and bond with their grandparents. And it’s not like you’re dropping them off to go party or anything, you’re doing other things needed without the added chaos and stress that comes with kids. Sounds like she needs a hobby and to not visit anymore if she can’t keep her unwanted opinions to herself

1 Like

Ask your parents on how they feel about it, IF you now feel Quilty of them having alone time with their grandbaby …

Maybe your aunt is jelous of not having time like that. ? Either to herself or with a little now ?

1 Like

You’re doing fine. Your aunt needs to mind her own.

My two year old is in daycare 4 days a week so I can work. You do what you have to do. You’re not a bad mom for taking time to get things done that need to be done and are difficult to do with a child needing constant attention being with you

Screw what the aunt says and kudos to you because I think more moms should do this instead of driving themselves nuts trying to get everything done with kids around.

Unless the grandparents are a danger to your kids in some way, tell your aunt to mind her own business.

1 Like

I expect my grandkids to come, especially when the parents are overwhelmed, or just need to get things done!

You’re not a bad parent for leaving your daughter with your parents 1 day a week.

We all deserve time to ourselves.

I send my oldest every other weekend to stay with my sister and when I need a mental break I send both my kids to her for few hours.

Go for it u need Todo it.

They are your parents ask them if they mind

1 Like

She’s nuts… Obviously. Don’t let her make you feel that way. She’s very wrong

1 Like

My mother in law was always telling me what a bad parent I was. She yelled at me once cause I ask my husband to change a diaper. I think you should keep doing what you are doing. If your parents don’t want to keep babysitting, I’m sure they would tell you

2 Likes

Auntie can mind her own damn business!

You’re a great mom. You get stuff done and allow your parents time with your child. Aunty needs to grow up and quit being so judgmental

I would ask your parents straight out, sounds like your Aunt is trying to stir it while she’s in town, perhaps she’s jealous.

1 Like

why would u even listen to shite like that of course ur not

Tell her to STFU. There’s nothing wrong with grandparents having their grandkids.
And I guess I’m an extra bad mom cause my kid has been going to daycare 5 days a week since he was 7 weeks old :woman_shrugging:

What’s wrong with leaving your children with their grandparents so us mothers/fathers can get things done or have alone time? She needs to mind the business that pays her.

1 Like

It’s none of her business!

No it’s such a blessing that you have your family who you trust to help you out. I know a lot of moms who leave their kids with anyone who will watch them and barely ever even have them. I think that’s wrong to do but if it’s family or a trusted person and you aren’t doing it excessively then you are just fine and deserve some alone time or errand time.

Ask your parents if they are OK with having their granddaughter once a week. They are probably thrilled to do so. Then you can ask your aunt why she is so concerned

Just don’t ever leave your kid with her

You are not a bad parent. Talk to the grand parents and ask them if they mind. You are giving her time with them while taking care of business at home

Do your children love being with their grandparents? Do your parents want to spend time with their grandchildren? It’s their opinion that counts - not your aunt’s. Do you and your aunt, or your aunt and parents have unresolved conflict that may be why she is acting this way? Or does your aunt even have kids? Some people are just mean and resentful. Don’t listen to toxic people. Everyone needs support to raise children. Tell her to mind her business!!

Pardon my language but your aunt needs to shut the hell up lol … you are NOT being a bad parent in any way, shape or form !! Think instead of the close bond your daughter is building w/ your parents and you’re getting stuff done that needs to get done. Even if it weren’t doing necessary stuff we ALL need a break once in a while whether it’s from an SO or our children. It doesn’t mean we’re bad people …

1 Like

If the words didn’t come.from parents mouth to u. I wouldn’t care what the aunt had to say

Bud, my kids are gone once a week too. Nobody’s a bad parent to want time to themselves. Especially when grandparents are willing and able. It’s not like you guilt them into it, right? Lol auntie can shut the hell up :joy:

Nothing wrong with it if you trust your parents tell your aunt to mind her own biz. Hate busybodies

He’ll no. You dobt stop becoming human once you have kids. The ones who are up their kids’ asses all day are the ones who go crazy when they leave the nest

Ask grandparents how they feel about leaving your daughter with them.

My opinion is NO does your mother and father mind? I think you are making memories for your daughter with her grandparents. I think kids need to know and spend time with their grandparents. You are doing responsible things you are adulting!

Your Aunt needs to mind her business and go back home! What’s wrong with your kids spending 1 day a week with your parents while you take care of things?! Just because you have kids doesn’t mean you don’t ever get any alone time. They’re with their grandparents for crying out loud!

Sounds like your aunt is projecting. She’s either unhappy with how she raised her own kids or didn’t have anyone to leave her kids with so she could get breaks.